Under Extreme Stress: Japan's Dignity and Grace
- A Revised Evaluation of Tsunami Hazards along the Chinese Coast in View of the Tohoku-Oki Earthquake. Jing, Huimin; Zhang, Huai; Yuen, David; Shi, Yaolin // Pure & Applied Geophysics;Jan2013, Vol. 170 Issue 1/2, p129
Japan's 2011 Tohoku-Oki earthquake and the accompanying tsunami have reminded us of the potential tsunami hazards from the Manila and Ryukyu trenches to the South China and East China Seas. Statistics of historical seismic records from nearly the last 4 decades have shown that major earthquakes...
- THE YEAR'S WORST NATURAL DISASTERS. PALMER, KATE // Discover;Jan/Feb2012, Vol. 33 Issue 1, p30
The article presents a map of the most catastrophic weather events of 2011, including landslides in Brazil, drought in East Africa, and the earthquake and tsunami in Japan.
- Reconnaissance report on landslide disasters in northeast Japan following the M 9 Tohoku earthquake. Miyagi, Toyohiko; Higaki, Daisuke; Yagi, Hiroshi; Doshida, Shoji; Chiba, Noriyuki; Umemura, Jun; Satoh, Go // Landslides;Sep2011, Vol. 8 Issue 3, p339
An earthquake of M 9.0 struck the Pacific coast in northeast Japan on March 11, 2011 and was followed by a hugely damaging tsunami along 500 km of the Japanese coastline. An inland aftershock of M. 7.0 occurred on April 11; during which, surface fault ruptures appeared on land. A large variety...
- A WORLD IN CRISIS. // Metropolis: Architecture Design;Feb2013, Vol. 32 Issue 7, p42
The article discusses the worldwide natural disasters that caused the loss of lives and destruction of infrastructure which cost at least 2.48 billion U.S. dollars including the 2011 tsunami in Japan, the 2010 heat wave in France and the 2005 Hurricane Katrina in the U.S.
- Far field deformation analysis after the Mw9.0 Tohoku earthquake constrained by cGPS data. Zhao, Bin; Wang, Wei; Yang, Shaomin; Peng, Maolei; Qiao, Xuejun; Du, Ruilin; Nie, Zhaosheng // Journal of Seismology;Apr2012, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p305
This study estimates the far field coseismic deformation of China and its surrounding areas caused by the Mw9.0 Tohoku earthquake of Japan using continuous GPS (cGPS) data and final orbits released by International GNSS Service (IGS). Based on these data, we feature the coseismic offsets of...
- STATS. // Bulletin of the Association of College Unions International;Sep2011, Vol. 79 Issue 5, p6
The article presents statistics on the cost of major natural disasters worldwide in 2011 including the cost of tornado outbreaks in the U.S. in April, the earthquake and tsunami in Japan in March, and the flooding in Australia in January.,
- Destruction of populations of Batillaria attramentaria (Caenogastropoda: Batillariidae) by tsunami waves of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake. Miura, Osamu; Sasaki, Yoshiki; Chiba, Satoshi // Journal of Molluscan Studies;Nov2012, Vol. 78 Issue 4, p377
No abstract available.
- Standing in the gap. // Civil Engineering (10212000);Apr2011, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p3
The author reflects on the lives of the victims of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. He recognizes the effects of natural disasters on the lives of the people citing the flood in Oaklands, New South Wales (NSW) on September 27, 1987, and the death of 300 people resulting to the same disaster...
- Japan's Triple Disaster. Pacchioli, David // Oceanus;Spring2013, Vol. 50 Issue 1, p2
The article offers information on a series of calamities that occurred on March 11, 2011 in Japan and studies conducted to analyze loss caused by them. These triple calamities were the Tokohu earthquake, radioactive decays in reactors at the Dai-ichi nuclear plant due to the earthquake, and...