VIETNAM WAR NARRATIVES AND THE MYTH OF THE HERO
- SELLING A WAR STORY. Hentoff, Nat // Editor & Publisher;06/04/2001, Vol. 134 Issue 23, p22
Focuses on a raid conducted by Bob Kerry, president of New York's New School University during the Vietnamese war whose accusatory recounting by Gerhard Klann has created a grave public-relations problem for Kerry. Response of Kerry to Klann's version of the story; Narration of Kerry and...
- Migratory Stopover (Poem). Fay, Sarah // Diner;Fall 2003, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p76
Presents the poem "Migratory Stopover," by Sarah Fay.
- WAR STORIES. Thomas, Evan; Isikoff, Michael; Brant, Martha; Hosenball, Mark; Gegax, T. Trent; Wolffe, Richard; Meadows, Susannah; Mcginn, Daniel; Mclure, Jason // Bulletin with Newsweek;2/24/2004, Vol. 122 Issue 6409, p58
Iraq fills the headlines, but for U.S. President George W. Bush and U.S. Senator John F. Kerry, Vietnam may be the crucible that matters more as of February 24, 2004. There wasn't a lot of anguished debate, recalls Kerry's fellow Bonesman David Thorne, who, like Kerry, joined the navy. Three of...
- GALLIPOLI: THE LANDING. Stitson, Roger // Screen Education;Spring2012, Issue 67, p24
The article reviews the comic book "Gallipoli: The Landing," by Hugh Dolan.
- Go Tell The Spartans. // Canadian Dimension;Sep/Oct2005, Vol. 39 Issue 5, p64
Reviews the motion picture "Go Tell the Spartans," directed by Ted Post, starring Burt Lancaster.
- Vietnam: The Unforgettable Tragedy. // New Republic;6/11/77, Vol. 176 Issue 24, p34
Reviews the book "Vietnam: The Unforgettable Tragedy," by Joseph Buttinger.
- A Failure of Skepticism. Working, Russell // Columbia Journalism Review;Nov/Dec2009, Vol. 48 Issue 4, p57
The article discusses falsities that occur in journalism on wartime heroics. It gives examples of heroic stories that have been debunked, noting the seemingly baseless heroics attributed to one John Dietz. It notes the book "Stolen Valor: How the Vietnam Generation Was Robbed of Its Heroes and...
- CHALLENGING THE LAW OF COURAGE AND HEROIC IDENTIFICATION IN TIM O'BRIEN'S 'IF I DIE IN A COMBAT ZONE' AND 'THE THINGS THEY CARRIED' Horner, Carl S. // War, Literature & the Arts: An International Journal of the Huma;Spring/Summer1999, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p256
Examines the themes of courage and heroism in the books 'If I Die in a Combat Zone,' and 'The Things They Carried,' by Tim O'brien. Platonic notion of courage; Definition of classic male heroism; Impact of the fear of public condemnation on the determination of the course of human action.
- Our Heroes. Waldo, Rose // Child Life;Jan/Feb2002, Vol. 81 Issue 1, p35
Presents the poem 'Our Heroes.'