The Great American Gun War
- MERAMEC RIVER KILLING: STATE V. CROCKER AND MISSOURIâ€™S FIRST FORAY INTO THE NATIONAL DEBATE ON SELF-DEFENSE. HEITHOLT, VINCENT K. // St. Louis University Law Journal;Summer2015, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p1197
The article consequences of the U.S. court case 'State v. Crocker' on the special interests of gun owners that resulted misconceptualization of American values. Topics discussed include justification of self-defense, history of self-defense law and the associated castle doctrine, Missouri's law...
- Moms, Cops, & Voters against Gun Control. Yiotis, Gayle; Wisher, Ray // American Enterprise;Sep/Oct99, Vol. 10 Issue 5, p61
Focuses on gun control in the United States. Willingness of a mother to teach his sons how to handle guns; Use of guns for self-defense purposes; Information on a legislation that governs gun ownership.
- A NEW WAVE OF GUN LAWS. // State Legislatures;Apr2006, Vol. 32 Issue 4, p10
The article focuses on the introduction of gun laws in the U.S. in 2006. The bills allow the use of any manner of force for self defense. It also provides immunity from civil suits and criminal prosecution for people who reasonably used deadly force. Opponents of the legislation argue that it...
- HOW TO MAKE THEIR DAY. Kates Jr., Don B.; Terrell Harris, Patricia // National Review;10/21/1991, Vol. 43 Issue 19, p30
Points out flaws in a number of arguments used by advocates of gun control. Lack of support among the public for gun control; Socio-economic background of gun owners as compared to non-owners; Effectiveness of police protection; More.
- Guns and Children. Buckley Jr., William F. // National Review;10/21/1991, Vol. 43 Issue 19, p54
Scolds conservatives for failing to come forward with laws that are designed substantially to reduce the free flow of guns. Defence of the right to bear arms; Commendation of laws that would punish people who have pistols in their possession outside their homes or shops.
- A Second Amendment Moment. Johnson, Nicholas J. // Brooklyn Law Review;Winter2005, Vol. 71 Issue 2, p715
Examines rights affirmation in relation to gun control in the U.S. Development of gun rights in different state constitutions; State legislation mandating nondiscretionary licenses to carry concealed firearms; History of modern debate about private firearms with attention to the rise and fall...
- "Gun Control" vs. "Self-Protection": A Case against the Ideological Divide. La Valle, James M. // Justice Policy Journal;Spring2013, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p1
A recent string of vicious, senseless and tragic mass spree killings have propelled an intense re-appraisal of U.S. gun laws, but the ensuing dialogue amply demonstrates that the opposing sides of the gun policy debate are as firmly entrenched in their mutual opposition to one another as ever...
- Gun Laws Shouldn't Be Aimed Wildly at All Sportsmen. // Saturday Evening Post;2/13/1960, Vol. 232 Issue 33, p10
Comments on excessive gun laws in the U.S. which unnecessarily put some sportsmen at a disadvantage. Importance of hunting license examinations to provide an additional means of gun control; Need to avoid emotional excesses and statistical misguidance in discussing fire arms control;...
- Rudy's Gun-Control Agenda. Velleco, John // Human Events;3/19/2007, Vol. 63 Issue 10, p20
The author reflects on issues related to a statement given by former New York City Mayor Rudy Giuliani on gun control. According to the author, disarming citizens because they live in a high-crime area is taking away the most effective means of self defense from the people who need it most. He...