The Great Plains Chronicles
- Brown and Out. Easterbrook, Gregg // New Republic;02/19/2001, Vol. 224 Issue 8, p20
Discusses the energy crisis in California. Reasons for the power struggles and the impact on the economy; How the regulated public utility industry remained the last stronghold of the managerial class in the U.S.; Thoughts on the decision by big California utilities to sell services; Plans to...
- Efficient is beautiful. Deland, M.R.; Watkins, J.D. // Issues in Science & Technology;Winter90/91, Vol. 7 Issue 2, p32
Asserts that collaboration among the users, producers and regulators of energy is capable of producing promising results. Unrelated bursts of activity in interest in the nation's energy, economic and environmental spheres in the 1970s and '80s; Need to provide electricity services in the most...
- 'National Energy Outlook' to address 2002 market uncertainties. // Engineered Systems;Mar2002, Vol. 19 Issue 3, p80
Reports that a presentation by Richard Costello on the U.S. national energy industry outlook will kick off the `Facility Strategies 2002 - Energy' symposium in Baltimore, Maryland in March 2002. Natural gas supply; Storage and demand; Commodity pricing trends; Legislative and regulatory...
- At year-end, flight to safety turns into flight from funds. Mercurio, Stephanie // Bond Buyer;01/03/2000, Vol. 331 Issue 30799, p1
Reports on the United States public power community's plan to continue to push Congress to pass legislation that goes a long way toward protecting the tax-exempt status of municipal utilities' bonds. Implications for market participants; Congressional support for a proposal that would...
- Bush administration's FutureGen program cost could be $950 million. // Mining Engineering;Apr2004, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the cost of the FutureGen energy project of the administration of U.S. President George W. Bush, according to the Energy Department. Cost share of the government-industry for the project; Sources of funding for the project; Interest in the project.
- Congress trimming domestic spending. Pekow, Charles // LP/Gas;Feb2005, Vol. 65 Issue 2, p14
Reports on the decision of the U.S. Congress to reduce domestic spending on some energy programs. Programs affected by the budget cuts; Impact of the budget reduction on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration operations; Introduction of a bill that would limit the amount of Low-Income...
- Energy merger to become reality. Fitting, Beth // Business Journal (Central New York);6/28/2002, Vol. 16 Issue 26, p1
Reports on the plan to be filed by operators that run New York's and New England's energy grids that would result in a single Northeast Regional Transmission Organization. Statement from Kenneth M. Klapp, spokesperson for the New York Independent System Operators (ISO).
- Business briefs. // Electrical World;May/Jun99, Vol. 213 Issue 3, p8
Presents news items pertaining to the United States energy industry as of June 1999. Includes a settlement agreement between the Coalition for Equitable Rates and Florida Power and Light Co.; Challenge issued by Waco, Texas mayor Mike Morrison for residents to fill a quarter of the city's...
- Mergers. // Electrical World;May/Jun99, Vol. 213 Issue 3, p14
Cites mergers in the United States energy industry. S&C Electric Co.'s controlling interest in EnergyLine Systems Inc.; Plans of Sempra Energy and Public Service Enterprise Group to acquire Chilquinta Energia SA; Cooper Industries Inc.'s acquisition of Neo-Ray Products Inc.