Debunking The 'Bookstores Are Doomed' Myth
- Six-month chain sales up 19%, to over $2 billion. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;9/2/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 36, p8
Reports that sales in American bookstores increased in the second quarter of fiscal 1997, but were below that in the first period. Chart showing figures of quarterly bookstore chain sales; Barnes & Noble, Borders Group; Books-A-Million and Crown Books; Reason for the lower second-quarter earnings.
- Industry stocks posted solid gains in '97. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;1/12/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 2, p10
Reports that the value of the Publishers Weekly Stock Index rose in 1997. Comparison to the Dow Jones average; Change if Amazon.com had been included in the list; Fastest-growing stocks of the year.
- Trade sales sluggish. // Publishers Weekly;1/22/1996, Vol. 243 Issue 4, p13
Presents a chart and graphs showing book trade sales figures as of the month of November 1995.
- Superstores sales rise 36%, to more than $3 billion. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;5/19/1997, Vol. 244 Issue 20, p10
Informs that the jump in superstore sales at the four major bookstore chains has given superstores about 30 percent of the retail book market. Chart showing superstore sales in 1995, 1996 and percentage change; Bookstore chains listed, including Barnes & Noble, Borders, Books-A-Million and...
- UNIT SALES BY CATEGORY, 2014-2015. // Publishers Weekly;1/18/2016, Vol. 263 Issue 3, p6
Several tables are presented which compare the units sales of books from 2014 to 2015 in several categories such as adult nonfiction, adult fiction, and juvenile nonfiction.
- THE WEEKLY SCORECARD. // Publishers Weekly;8/11/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 32, p5
A chart is presented which displays the number of books sold for the first week in August in 2013 and 2014, comparing categories such as adult and juvenile, fiction and nonfiction, hardcover and paperback as well as the year over year percent change in sales.
- BESTSELLERS NOVEMBER 3-9, 2014. // Publishers Weekly;11/17/2014, Vol. 261 Issue 46, p11
A chart of bestselling books for the week of November 3-9 is presented including â€œThe Long Haulâ€ by Jeff Kinney, â€œThe Burning Roomâ€ by Michael Connelly, and â€œYes Pleaseâ€ by Amy Poehler.
- Bookstores. // Inside Tucson Business;1/4/2010, Vol. 19 Issue 31, p7
A chart is presented that lists the bookstores in Tucson, Arizona including Bookmans Entertainment Exchange, Borders Books, Music & CafÃ©, and Mostly Books.
- BESTSELLERS JANUARY 12-18, 2015. // Publishers Weekly;1/26/2015, Vol. 262 Issue 4, p16
The article presents charts of information about the 25 best-selling books in the U.S. for the week ended January 18, 2015 in each of several categories including hardcover fiction, hardcover nonfiction, paperback mass market, and paperback trade.