Preventive zinc supplementation in developing countries: impact on mortality and morbidity due to diarrhea, pneumonia and malaria
- Zinc supplementation prevents diarrhoea and pneumonia. Yamey, Gavin // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/11/99, Vol. 319 Issue 7224, p1521
Focuses on the prevention of childhood pneumonia and diarrhea through dietary zinc supplementation. Comparison of zinc supplementation with other preventive interventions for diarrhea; Association of zinc deficiency in children with reduced immunocompetence and rates of infectious diseases;...
- Zinc puts zip in immune systems... McCord, Holly; Yeykal, Teresa A. // Prevention;Jan94, Vol. 46 Issue 1, p31
Suggests that zinc deficiency may be responsible for the weakened immune systems commonly seen in older people. Research at Wayne State University (Detroit) showing improvements in immune function of elderly men and women who received zinc supplements; Details; Good zinc sources.
- Experimental Zinc Deficiency in Humans. Prasad, Ananda S.; Rabbani, Parviz; Abbasli, Ali; Bowersox, Elizabeth; Fox, Spivey // Annals of Internal Medicine;Oct78, Vol. 89 Issue 4, p483
Studies the effects of mild zinc deficient in humans. Methodology; Results; Discussion of findings.
- Zinc deficiency due to alcoholic cirrhosis mimicking acrodermatitis enteropathica. Ilchyshyn, A.; Mendelsohn, S. // British Medical Journal (Clinical Research Edition);6/5/1982, Vol. 284 Issue 6330, p1676
Examines a case of zinc deficiency caused by alcoholic cirrhosis and malnutrition. Findings on the serum zinc and plasma albumin concentrations of the patient; Observation of anorexia, nausea, and vomiting; Development of acrodermatitis enteropathica on the patient.
- For higher yielding rice. Comis, Don // Agricultural Research;Mar1997, Vol. 45 Issue 3, p8
Reports on an accurate test to help breeders select plants with genes for greater tolerance to zinc shortfall. Countries whose rice suffers from zinc deficiency according to an Agricultural Research Service (ARS) agronomist, Rufus Chaney; Description of Chaney's test of rice seedlings to...
- Fatalities increasing from cholera outbreak in the Philippines. // Infectious Diseases in Children;Oct2008, Vol. 21 Issue 10, p58
The article reports on the increasing fatality rate of cholera outbreak in the Philippines. The government and the Red Cross officials of the province of Sultan Kudarat in the Philippines said there have been 50 cases and 21 deaths of cholera. Affecting children mostly, symptoms in all victims...
- Trends in causes of death among children under 5 in Bangladesh, 1993-2004: an exercise applying a standardized computer algorithm to assign causes of death using verbal autopsy data. // Population Health Metrics;2011, Vol. 9, p43
The article presents a study focusing on the trends in causes of death among children under 5 in Bangladesh from 1993-2004. As stated, the study found that Pneumonia was the top killer of children under 5 and the importance of neonatal survival was highlighted by the increase in neonatal deaths....
- Impact of zinc supplementation in children with acute diarrhoea in Turkey. Boran, P.; Tokuc, O.; Vagas, E.; Oktem, S.; Gokduman, M. K. // Archives of Disease in Childhood;Apr2006, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p296
Objective: Zinc deficiency is prevalent in children in developing countries. Supplemental zinc provides therapeutic benefits in diarrhoea. Our dim was to evaluate the effect of daily zinc supplementation for 14 days on diarrhoea duration, severityl and morbidity in children. Methods: In a...
- Zinc Treatment to Under-five Children: Applications to Improve Child Survival and Reduce Burden of Disease. Larson, Charles P.; Roy, S. K.; Khan, Azharul Islam; Rahman, Ahmed Shafiqur; Qadri, Firdausi // Journal of Health, Population & Nutrition;Sep2008, Vol. 26 Issue 3, p356
Zinc is an essential micronutrient associated with over 300 biological functions. Marginal zinc deficiency states are common among children living in poverty and exposed to diets either low in zinc or high in phytates that compromise zinc uptake. These children are at increased risk of morbidity...