The views of young children in the UK about obesity, body size, shape and weight: a systematic review
- Helping Your Child Reach or Stay at a Healthy Weight. // American Family Physician;7/1/2008, Vol. 78 Issue 1, p65
The article presents questions and answers related to children's weight including a way of knowing if a child is at a healthy weight, information on the risks of childhood obesity and ways of helping the child reach or stay at a healthy weight.
- Ask Karen. Inge, Karen // Australian Women's Weekly;Jun2005, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p129
Presents approaches that parents can use in assessing if their child is overweight. Ways to determine the child's body size using the Body Mass Index; Weight range of a healthy adult.
- Central overweight and obesity in British youth aged 11-16 years: cross sectional surveys of waist circumference. McCarthy, David H.; Ellis, Sandra M.; Cole, Tim J. // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);3/22/2003, Vol. 326 Issue 7390, p624
Objective: To compare changes over time in waist circumference (a measure of central fatness) and body mass index (a measure of overall obesity) in British youth. Design: Representative cross sectional surveys in 1977, 1987, and 1997. Setting: Great Britain. Participants: Young people aged 11-16...
- Letter. Larsson, I.; Narbro, K. // International Journal of Obesity;Mar2005, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p348
Focuses on the prevalence rates of overweight and obesity in Sweden. Growth in obesity rates of the country; Social mapping of the obesity epidemic; Validity of body mass index based on self-reported weight and height.
- Weight Watching: 75% of Americans Fat by 2015. // Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter;Sep2007, Vol. 25 Issue 7, p3
This article presents statistics about U.S. citizens and obesity. Predictions suggest that by 2015, 75% of U.S. adults will not be just overweight, but obese. Johns Hopkins University researchers analyzed 20 published studies plus national surveys of weight and behavior. Additionally, a report...
- Body mass index (BMI). // Mayo Clinic Fitness for Everybody;2005, p9
Presents a chart of the body mass index from National Institutes of Health's Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. Height; Weight in pounds.
- Big. Dahm, Mary // Teen Ink;Oct2006, Vol. 18 Issue 2, p17
The article presents the views of the author on obesity and beauty. She explains the reason she believes Mandisa, a contestant in the television program "American Idol," is beautiful despite the fact she is big. She discusses the positive connotations of the term "big." It provides the...
- Overweight in children: definitions and interpretation. Flegal, Katherine M.; Tabak, Carolyn J.; Ogden, Cynthia L. // Health Education Research;Dec2006, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p755
Studies in a variety of countries have shown increases in the prevalence of overweight among children in recent years. These increases have given rise to concern about children's health and well-being. The terminology used hi these studies varies considerably. However, whatever the terminology...
- NOW LESS JUNKY! // Time;12/27/2004, Vol. 164/165 Issue 26/1, p195
The article discusses how General Mills has switched from highly processed white flour to whole-grain flours in the manufacture of all 29 of its cereal brands, including such kid favorites as Lucky Charms and Trix. General Mills' move could strike a blow against childhood obesity, since refined...