The music of Korean hymns with traditional musical elements An introduction
- Singing as spiritual formation A River Brethren hymn of exhortation. Sauder, Myron K. // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Autumn2011, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p61
The article discusses "The pearl that worldlings covet," a hymn representative of the River Brethern. The article states that the song represents visual imagery and focuses on two kingdom theology. The first stanza of the song represents an image of a pearl and focuses on the spiritual life of...
- "God is our guide! our cause is just!" The National Chartist Hymn Book and Victorian Hymnody. SANDERS, MIKE // Victorian Studies;Summer2012, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p679
Despite the undeniable influence of hymns in Victorian culture, hymnody has remained a neglected field of criticism in Victorian studies, having been largely restricted by the conception that Victorian hymns reflected or perpetuated conservative social attitudes. This essay examines the contents...
- El Himnario del Oficio hispano. Arocena, Félix María // Scripta Theologica;ene-abr2012, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p9
This study emerges from the publication of the second critical edition of the Hispanic Hymnal by Jose Castro in volume 167 of CCL Series Latinas (Brepols 2010). The previous critical work, written by the German hymnologist Clemens Blume, was dated in 1897. The hymnal, as a peculiar Â«lyrical...
- FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. Loftis, Deborah Carlton // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Spring/Summer2011, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p3
The article offers the author's experience of attending the annual meeting of Church Music Publishers Association. She stated that it was an excellent opportunity to promote the work of the Hymn Society in the United States and Canada. She enjoyed giving speech on the trends in hymnody, hymnal...
- Millennialism in the Korean Protestant Church. Ahn, Shin // Studies in World Christianity;2006, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p184
The article reviews the book "Millennialism in the Korean Protestant Church," by Ung Kyu Pak.
- The golden age of hymns. // Christian History;1991, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p38
Presents questions and resources concerning the emergence and development of hymns. Similarity of the popularity of praise music to hymns; Objections against contemporary Christian music; Bibliography.
- EDITOR'S NOTES. Wallace, Robin Knowles // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Spring2012, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p2
An introduction is presented in which editor discusses various reports published within the issue on several topics including Marian congregational song, hymn manuscript and Roman Catholic hymnody.
- EDITOR'S NOTES. Hall, Nancy // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Autumn2010, Vol. 61 Issue 4, p2
The article discusses various reports published within the issue, including one by Dan C. Damon on justice in hymnody, one by Eileen M. Johnson on justice topics in hymnals, and one by Carl P. Daw Jr. on hymnic anniversaries.
- Hymnody and Hymnals in Basel, 1526-1606. Marcus, Kenneth H. // Sixteenth Century Journal;Fall2001, Vol. 32 Issue 3, p723
Explores the origin of hymnody and hymnals in Basel, Switzerland from 1526 to 1606. Adherence to the Zwinglian doctrine; Impact of singing on church service; Importance of hymnody as a form of religious expression.