The music of Korean hymns with traditional musical elements An introduction
- "God is our guide! our cause is just!" The National Chartist Hymn Book and Victorian Hymnody. SANDERS, MIKE // Victorian Studies;Summer2012, Vol. 54 Issue 4, p679
Despite the undeniable influence of hymns in Victorian culture, hymnody has remained a neglected field of criticism in Victorian studies, having been largely restricted by the conception that Victorian hymns reflected or perpetuated conservative social attitudes. This essay examines the contents...
- Singing as spiritual formation A River Brethren hymn of exhortation. Sauder, Myron K. // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Autumn2011, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p61
The article discusses "The pearl that worldlings covet," a hymn representative of the River Brethern. The article states that the song represents visual imagery and focuses on two kingdom theology. The first stanza of the song represents an image of a pearl and focuses on the spiritual life of...
- El Himnario del Oficio hispano. Arocena, Félix María // Scripta Theologica;ene-abr2012, Vol. 44 Issue 1, p9
This study emerges from the publication of the second critical edition of the Hispanic Hymnal by Jose Castro in volume 167 of CCL Series Latinas (Brepols 2010). The previous critical work, written by the German hymnologist Clemens Blume, was dated in 1897. The hymnal, as a peculiar Â«lyrical...
- FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR. Loftis, Deborah Carlton // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Spring/Summer2011, Vol. 62 Issue 2, p3
The article offers the author's experience of attending the annual meeting of Church Music Publishers Association. She stated that it was an excellent opportunity to promote the work of the Hymn Society in the United States and Canada. She enjoyed giving speech on the trends in hymnody, hymnal...
- Part II The Industry: 15. Publishing: Hymnals. Horn, David // Continuum Encyclopedia of Popular Music of the World;2003, Vol. 1, p580
A definition of the term "hymnals" is presented. It refers to a collection of hymns for use in religious rituals. With the advent of the Reformation period, and the invention of printing, hymnals became a symbol of the democratic participation by congregations in their own idiom. In Germany, the...
- Millennialism in the Korean Protestant Church. Ahn, Shin // Studies in World Christianity;2006, Vol. 12 Issue 2, p184
The article reviews the book "Millennialism in the Korean Protestant Church," by Ung Kyu Pak.
- The Protestant Church as a Political Training Ground in Modern Korea. Chung-shin Park // International Journal of Korean History;Dec2007, Vol. 11, p1
The article looks at the political role of the Protestant Church in South Korea. Former president Syngman Rhee courted Protestant clergy while campaigning. The history of the Korean Protestant Church as a politically active institution is detailed. Participation of Christians in nationalist...
- The golden age of hymns. // Christian History;1991, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p38
Presents questions and resources concerning the emergence and development of hymns. Similarity of the popularity of praise music to hymns; Objections against contemporary Christian music; Bibliography.
- EDITOR'S NOTES. Wallace, Robin Knowles // Hymn: A Journal of Congregational Song;Spring2012, Vol. 63 Issue 2, p2
An introduction is presented in which editor discusses various reports published within the issue on several topics including Marian congregational song, hymn manuscript and Roman Catholic hymnody.