Personal stigma and use of mental health services among people with depression in a general population in Finland
- Experiencing the stigma firsthand. Larsen, Sharon // Masthead;Summer2000, Vol. 52 Issue 2, p6
Discusses the stigma surrounding mental illness in society. Information on depression; Views on the foundation of mental health for children of the United States; How most mentally ill people hurt themselves; Opinion on mental health care. INSET: Depression screening test.
- The holidays are quickly approaching. Thornhill, Robert B. // Alabama Lawyer;Nov2012, Vol. 73 Issue 6, p432
The article focuses on the Alabama Lawyer Assistance Program which is a confidential program that provides consultation, intervention and peer support to Alabama's lawyers and judges suffering from depression. It mentions that many lawyers who were suffering from an addiction or mental disorders...
- Opening Minds in Canada: Targeting Change. Stuart, Heather; Shu-Ping Chen; Christie, Romie; Dobson, Keith; Kirsh, Bonnie; Knaak, Stephanie; Koller, Michelle; Krupa, Terry; Lauria-Horner, Bianca; Luong, Dorothy; Modgill, Geeta; Patten, Scott B.; Pietrus, Mike; Szeto, Andrew; Whitley, Rob // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Oct2014 Supplement 1, Vol. 59 Issue 10, pS13
Objective: To summarize the ongoing activities of the Opening Minds (OM) Anti-Stigma Initiative of the Mental Health Commission of Canada regarding the 4 groups targeted (youth, health care providers, media, and workplaces), highlight some of the key methodological challenges, and review lessons...
- Opening Minds in Canada: Background and Rationale. Stuart, Heather; Shu-Ping Chen; Christie, Romie; Dobson, Keith; Kirsh, Bonnie; Knaak, Stephanie; Koller, Michelle; Krupa, Terry; Lauria-Horner, Bianca; Luong, Dorothy; Modgill, Geeta; Patten, Scott B.; Pietrus, Mike; Szeto, Andrew; Whitley, Rob // Canadian Journal of Psychiatry;Oct2014 Supplement 1, Vol. 59 Issue 10, pS8
Objective: To summarize the background and rationale of the approach taken by the Mental Health Commission of Canadaâ€™s Opening Minds (OM) Anti-Stigma Initiative. Method: The approach taken by OM incorporates a grassroots, community development philosophy, has clearly defined target...
- Commentary on 'Community Metal Health Care for Women with Severe Mental Illness Who Are Parents'–The Tragedy of Missed Opportunities: What Providers Can Do. Nicholson, Joanne; Biebel, Kathleen // Community Mental Health Journal;Apr2002, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p167
Comments on community mental health care for women with severe mental illness in the U.S. Criteria for psychiatric disorder; Association of stigma with mental illness and fear of repercussions; Increase risk of children of parents with mental illness for developing psychosocial difficulties.
- Reducing the Stigma of Mental Illness. Brown, Kaylene; Bradley, Loretta J. // Journal of Mental Health Counseling;Jan2002, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p81
Studies the reduction of stigma of mental illness in the United States. Knowledge on mental illness; Estimation on the number of Americans seeking mental health services; Need for education of the general public on the misconceptions of mental illness.
- Psychosocial aspects of Hansen's disease (leprosy). Singh, Gurvinder Pal // Indian Dermatology Online Journal;Sep-Dec2012, Vol. 3 Issue 3, p166
In general, the prevalence of psychiatric disorders among people with Hansen's disease has greatly increased to date. However, inadequate psychiatric care of people with Hansen's disease is an area of increasing concern. Many studies have been conducted in India and abroad to find out the...
- ATTITUDE TOWARDS MENTAL ILLNESS IN KASHMIR. Hassan, Asima; Shafi, Aneesa // Studies of Changing Societies: Comparative & Interdisciplinary F;2012, Vol. 2 Issue 4, p29
In most of the societies mental illness carries a substantial stigma or mark of shame. Such stigma may keep families from acknowledging that a family member is ill. Some families may hide or overprotect a member with mental illness-keeping the person from receiving potentially effective care-or...
- Reducing Stigma Barriers to Help-Seeking Behaviors among College Students. Reichert, Emily // Psychology (2152-7180);Oct2012, Vol. 3 Issue 10, p892
College students suffer disproportionately from depression, an illness with significant consequences that, untreated, escalates in severity. A review of literature reveals that seeking help for this health issue is often stigmatized, reducing the likelihood of treatment. While the literature...