Sexuality of the disabled often overlooked
- The Perfidy of Stigma Experienced by the Palliative CHBC of Kanye in Botswana. Kangethe, Simon // Indian Journal of Palliative Care;Jan2010, Vol. 16 Issue 1, p30
Background/Aim: To explore and assess the magnitude of stigma and its impact to palliative care giving. Objective: To involve the palliative caregivers in exploring the impact of stigma in their care giving. Materials and Methods: The study was exploratory in nature and used attracted...
- Perceptions of caring for children with disabilities: Experiences from Moshi, Tanzania. McNally, Anna; Mannan, Hasheem // African Journal of Disability;2013, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p1
Background: Although there exist laws, policies and standards in Tanzania that serve to protect and improve the lives of children with disabilities, the individual human experiences and feelings of the carers and parents still remain the realities of caring for children with disabilities. There...
- Associations between Perceived HIV Stigma and Quality of Life at the Dyadic Lvel: The Actor-Partner Interdependence Model. Liu, Hongjie; Xu, Yongfang; Lin, Xinjin; Shi, Jian; Chen, Shiyi // PLoS ONE;Feb2013, Vol. 8 Issue 2, p1
Background: Few studies have investigated the relationship between HIV-related stigma and quality life at the dyadic level. The objective of this study was to examine the actor and partner effects of stigma that was perceived by people living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHAs) and caregivers on quality of...
- Mental Health Service Use by Young People: The Role of Caregiver Characteristics. Gronholm, Petra C.; Ford, Tamsin; Roberts, Ruth E.; Thornicroft, Graham; Laurens, Kristin R.; Evans-Lacko, Sara // PLoS ONE;Mar2015, Vol. 10 Issue 3, p1
Aims: Many children and adolescents experiencing mental health problems do not receive appropriate care. Strategies to encourage appropriate access to services might be improved by a more detailed understanding of service use determinants within this group. In view of caregiversâ€™ key...
- Social attitude barrier to mental health reform. Gupte, Jayamala // Australian Journal of Pharmacy;Jun2009, Vol. 90 Issue 1069, p22
The article reports that the attitude of health professionals toward people with mental illnesses is a barrier to the reform of mental healthcare delivery. It notes that it limits the provision of information about psychotropic medications. It adds that the fear of stigmatization of people with...
- Growing through loss. Skinner, Philippa // Therapy Today;Oct2013, Vol. 24 Issue 8, p1
A reprint of the article "Growing Through Loss," by Philippa Skinner, which appeared in the Spring 2013 issue of the journal "Thresholds," is presented. It focuses on the decision by the author to continue her counselling training after the death of her 21-year-old son due to a heroin overdose....
- Starting a new chapter. Dimitra // Therapy Today;Sep2013, Vol. 24 Issue 7, p9
A personal narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of undergoing counseling to overcome phobia and anxiety.
- Hear this. Bates, Jane // Nursing Standard;1/2/2013, Vol. 27 Issue 18, p24
Jane Bates wonders why deafness has a stigma.
- Toilet taboos -- The psychology of bathroom stigmas. Haslam, N. // Australian & New Zealand Continence Journal;Autumn2014, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p17
An abstract of the article "Toilet taboos: The psychology of bathroom stigmas" by N. Haslam is presented.