ON TOP OF THE WORLD
- The Big E. Athans, Peter // Climbing;09/15/99, Issue 188, p78
Describes the different routes in climbing Mount Everest. Obstacles found along the South Col/Southeast Ridge; Difficulty of making a climb in the Southwest Face of Everest; Presence of a rock band at the South Pillar.
- After the Avalanche. Goldberg, Susan // National Geographic;Nov2014, Vol. 226 Issue 5, p4
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various reports within the issue on topics including an April 18, 2014 iceberg accident in the Khumbu Icefall of Mount Everest that killed 16 individuals, Sherpa culture on Mount Everest, and the Sherpas' assistance and support offered...
- On Top of the World. Greenberg, Glenn; Goldberg, Andrew // Scholastic News -- Edition 3;01/10/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 13, p2
Reports on the official height of Mount Everest.
- A Woman of Wild and Snowy Places. Magee, Bernice E. // Appleseeds;Oct99, Vol. 2 Issue 2, p15
Recalls Alison Hargreaves' successful climb to the summit of Mount Everest and K2 in 1995.
- The Conquest of Mount Everest. Hillary, Sir Edmund // Cricket;Jun99, Vol. 26 Issue 10, p13
Relates the author's experiences on the last day of his successful climb to the top of the world's highest mountain, Mount Everest.
- Tackling Everest! // Science World;02/23/98, Vol. 54 Issue 10, p12
Explores the easiest way to reach the summit of Mount Everest. Reference to the South Col route; Explanation of the purpose of a base camp; Information on the most dangerous part of the climb, the Khumbu Icefall; Details on the climate at the summit of Everest.
- Mount Everest: The ultimate challenge. // Junior Scholastic;11/15/96, Vol. 99 Issue 7, p10
Presents a historical perspective on the feat of climbing Mount Everest. Location of the mountain; Edmund Hillary's conquering of the mountain in 1953; Contribution of climbers to Nepal's economy; Perils of climbing Everest; Environmental problems due to climbing.
- The Highest Mountain. // Scholastic News -- Edition 3 (Teacher's Edition);1/10/2000, Vol. 56 Issue 13, p1
Provides information about the Mount Everest found between Nepal and the Tibet region of China.
- GALLERY. // Climbing;09/15/99, Issue 188, p146
Features photographs of Mount Everest taken by mountaineers who have climbed its heights. Snow on the Khumbu basecamp; Climbers on Everest's West Ridge; Spindrift encountered by Ang Zombu on the east side of Everest.