Civil Society and Religion: Retrospective Reflections on Catholicism and Prospective Reflections on Islam
- PASSIVE AND ASSERTIVE SECULARISM. Kuru, Ahmet T. // World Politics;Jul2007, Vol. 59 Issue 4, p568
Why do secular states pursue substantially different policies toward religion? The United States, France, and Turkey are secular states that lack any official religion and have legal systems free from religious control. The French and Turkish states have Banned students' headscarves in public...
- The Advantage to Islam Of Mosque-State Separation. Benard, Alexander // Policy Review;Feb/Mar2008, Issue 147, p65
The article examines the relationship between Islam and civil society in countries where Moslems make up the bulk of the population. The current trend of Islamic governance is not necessarily supported by a majority of Moslems. The principles of church-state separation and religious freedom took...
- Decent Society and/or Civil Society? Markus, Maria Renata // Social Research;Winter2001, Vol. 68 Issue 4, p1011
The article focuses on the development and concept of civil society in Poland. The author discusses the historical and social conditions which gave rise to different types for civil society. The application of the concept is continuously expanding, encompassing more and more social phenomena,...
- Modernizing Islam: Religion in the Public Sphere in Europe and the Middle East. Hofmann, Murad Wilfried // Journal of Islamic Studies;May2004, Vol. 15 Issue 2, p267
The article reviews the book "Modernizing Islam: Religion in the Public Sphere in Europe and the Middle East," edited by John Esposito and Franï¿½ois Burgat.
- The cost of freedom. Tomeo, Teresa // Our Sunday Visitor;6/10/2012, Vol. 101 Issue 6, p21
The author reflects on religious liberty assaults against the Catholic Church.
- TOWARDS A REAL DIALOGUE--PROBLEMS AND PROSPECTS. Mahmood, Khalid // Dialogue & Universalism;2002, Vol. 12 Issue 11/12, p31
Discusses various issues related to the dialogue among civilizations. Objectives of the dialogue of civilization; Discussion on the perceived association of terrorism to the Islamic world; Distinction between the Islam religion and other religion across the world; Significance of media and youth...
- Religious Freedom Restoration Act upheld. // Christian Century;2/28/96, Vol. 113 Issue 7, p222
Reports on a federal appeals court ruling on the case involving the planned demolition of the Saint Peter's Roman Catholic Church in Boerne, Texas. Boerne City Council's contention on the need to preserve the church; Use of the Religious Freedom Restoration Act of 1993 as a basis of the court...
- Chinese youth call for religious freedom. // National Catholic Reporter;08/25/2000, Vol. 36 Issue 37, p4
Reports on the letter by young Catholics to Pope John Paul II, which call for religious freedom and a visit to their homeland from the pope. Why the relations between the Vatican and the official Catholic church in China are strained; Details on the content of the letter.
- Taping of confession violated Constitution, court rules. // Church & State;Mar1997, Vol. 50 Issue 3, p21
Reports on violations of religious freedom with the secret recording of confession in Lane County, Oregon. Violation of Conan Wayne Hale's religious freedom with the recording of his confession by the district attorney; Church officials' demand for the destruction of the tape; Violation of the...