LAOS: RISK SUMMARY
- The hydrogeomorphological effects of beaver dam-building activity. Gurnell, A.M. // Progress in Physical Geography;Jun98, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p167
A characteristic of beaver ecology is their ability to build dams and, thus, to modify the landscape to increase its suitability for their occupation. This ability gives beaver great significance as a geomorphic agent. In order to review the hydrogeomorphological effects of beaver dam-building...
- Rock art saved. M.R. // Archaeology;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 49 Issue 2, p14
Reports the constructions of the Foz Coa Dam, Portugal, has been halted. Reasons for the work stoppage; What completion of the dam involved.
- The Strategic Significance of the Mekong. Osborne, Milton // Contemporary Southeast Asia: A Journal of International & Strate;Dec2000, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p429
Discusses reasons why the Mekong River is vital to Southeast Asia's ecology. Failure of efforts to make the river a route for commercial navigation; How the Mekong is the focus of concern on the part of downstream countries as China embarks on a dam-building program in the Yunnan Province;...
- To tame a river? Stiefel, Chana Freiman // Science World;01/10/97, Vol. 53 Issue 8, p16
Part III. Reports on the construction of the world's largest dam in tha Yangtze River in China. Taming of the Yangtze River as purpose of the project; Advantages and disadvantages of building the dam. INSETS: Should dams be built?.;What a dam does..
- Big-dam construction is on the rise. Gardner, Gary; Perry, Jim // World Watch;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 8 Issue 5, p36
Discusses the worldwide construction of dams. Effect of irrigation and electricity demands on dam constructions; Sizes; Dams as a symbol of national prestige; Uses; Disadvantages.
- Hydro-QuÃ©bec Endangers More Rivers. Loverock, Kelly // Alternatives Journal (A\J) - Canada's Environmental Voice;Fall2002, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p4
Presents a reports on endangered rivers in Quebec. Threat of hydro development on Rupert and Kipawa Rivers; Construction of several dams; Diversion of the rivers into the Eastmain River.
- Animas-La Plata Appears Again in Larger, More Expensive Form. Ichniowski, Tom // ENR: Engineering News-Record;01/31/2000, Vol. 244 Issue 4, p29
Deals with the proposed plan of the United States (US) Interior Department's Bureau of Reclamation for the Animas-La Plata water project in Colorado and New Mexico. Opposition of the environmentalists to the plan; Estimated cost of the project; Details on the project.
- Violence erupts over Maheshwar dam. // Ecologist;May/Jun98, Vol. 28 Issue 3, p3
Reports that villagers fighting to halt construction of the Maheshwar dam on Narmada river in India were brutally attacked by police, following demonstrations at the end of April 1998. Reason for the arrest of thousand men and women; Implication of the violence.
- Dam owners have to coddle fish. Soast, Allen; King, Harriet // ENR: Engineering News-Record;7/19/93, Vol. 231 Issue 3, p22
Features sophisticated construction programs undertaken by hydroelectric dam operators for fish protection purposes. Estimated costs of possible solutions to preservation measures; Fish problems; Probe into the impact of hydroelectric projects on fish; Corps of Engineers' Bonneville Dam;...