Putting Up Barriers
- A Fence With Rustic Charm. Thigpen, Charlie // Southern Living;Mar2003, Vol. 39 Issue 3, p84
Provides tips on how to create a wooden fence. Measurements for the size and design of the fence; Types of tools and materials used; Steps in securing the wire fence and posts.
- Fencing Lessons. // Popular Mechanics;Apr99, Vol. 176 Issue 4, p112
Discusses the procedure in constructing a fence. Preparation of the ground; Materials needed in the project; Building the fence.
- Outdoor projects. Cooper, Steve // Better Homes & Gardens;June97, Vol. 75 Issue 6, p138
Presents tips on how to design and construct outdoor decoration and ornament projects. Ornamental ironwork gate; Arched gate; Cottage mailboxes; Latticework fence. INSET: Plans offer..
- 5 Fencing mistakes you DON'T want to make. DAMERON, GAIL // Countryside & Small Stock Journal;Mar/Apr2011, Vol. 95 Issue 2, p38
The article discusses five common mistakes in building fences that can easily be avoided. One common mistake tackled is selecting the wrong kind of fence. Another is the failure to anchor down anchor posts. Constructing a fence over someone else's property is said to be one of the worst fencing...
- Stock Fencing. Exton, Rob // Living Woods;Sep/Oct2010, Issue 12, p24
The article offers information on how to make a brush fence from undesirable trees to keep livestock out and protect young hazel coppices. It suggests using sweet chestnut and heartwood of oak because they coppice well, resilient for outdoor use, and resist damp. The gate was made out of tree...
- Building a Gate That Doesn't Sag. Poore, Patricia // Old House Journal;Aug2014, Vol. 42 Issue 5, p54
The article offers suggestions for building a gate or fence that lasts for a longer time. Suggestions include following best-practice principles such as using corrosion-resistant materials, heavy-duty fasteners such as brass screws, and avoiding exposed water traps and regularly doing whitewash...
- Building Fences and Gates: How To Design and Build Them from the Ground Up. Frederiksen, Linda // Library Journal;2/1/2005, Vol. 130 Issue 2, p50
Reviews the book "Building Fences and Gates: How To Design and Build Them from the Ground Up," by Richard Freudenberger.
- Alternatives to the stockade fence. // Horticulture;Feb86, Vol. 64 Issue 2, p44
Before deciding upon a fence style, factors to consider are garden and house style, costs and materials. A description of some fences such as louver, diagonal board and lattice. INSET: Building a basic board fence..
- Hot fencing. Thorson, Juli S.; Jackson, Cappy // Horse & Rider;Aug96, Vol. 35 Issue 8, p55
Offers tips on how to build an electric fence for horses. Materials needed; Posts; Finishing the fence.