Medication Adherence Among Community-Dwelling Patients With Heart Failure
- Statins Pentraxin 3 and Heart Failure: What is the link? Abou-Raya, A.; Abou-Raya, S.; Helmii, M. // European Journal of Heart Failure. Supplements;Jun2008, Vol. 7 Issue 1, p187
An abstract of the article "Statins Pentraxin 3 and Heart Failure: What is the link?," by A. Abou-Raya, S. Abou-Raya and M. Helmii is presented.
- statins. // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p2197
A definition of the term "statins," which refers to any of the drugs from the class known as 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A (HMG CoA) reductase inhibitors, is presented.
- Use of n-of-1 trials to determine statin tolerability. // Reactions Weekly;Apr2014, Vol. 1495 Issue 1, p4
The article presents the findings of a recent study that confirmed the feasibility and potential value of n-of-1 trials in providing a reliable means of assessing whether such symptoms are in fact attributable to the statin.
- Statins in Heart Failure: The Paradox Between Large Randomized Clinical Trials and Real Life. Gastelurrutia, Paloma; Lupón, Josep; de Antonio, Marta; Urrutia, Agustin; Díez, Crisanto; Coll, Ramón; Altimir, Salvador; Bayes-Genis, Antoni // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Jun2012, Vol. 87 Issue 6, p555
Objective: To assess the relationship between statins and prognosis in ischemic and nonischemic patients with heart failure (HF) in a real-life cohort followed up for a long period. Patients and Methods: This prospective study included 960 patients with HF with preserved or depressed left...
- Call to boost statin therapy adherence. // Independent Nurse;1/15/2010, p1
The article presents the conclusion of several reviewed studies of adherence to statin medication in clinical trials and in normal practice.
- Statin Therapy: Not Just for Cholesterol Anymore? Luks, Andrew M. // Critical Care Alert;Dec2009, Vol. 17 Issue 9, p69
This retrospective cohort study demonstrated that statin use was associated with a reduction in mortality in patients with severe sepsis (APACHE II > 24), but had no effect on mortality in those with less severe disease.
- Noncholesterol-Lowering Effects of Statins. Pierre-Paul, Daphne; Gahtan, Vivian // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Sep/Oct2003, Vol. 37 Issue 5, p301
Statins, 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme-A (HMG-CoA) reductase inhibitors, inhibit the rate-limiting enzyme in cholesterol synthesis and lead to a significant reduction of plasma lipid concentrations. As a clear correlation exists between serum cholesterol and cardiovascular risk, statins...
- Exploiting a Physiological Regulator to Improve the Efficacy and Safety of Statins. Gill, Saloni; Brown, Andrew J. // Cardiovascular Drugs & Therapy;Apr2011, Vol. 25 Issue 2, p183
A letter to the editor is presented about the use of a physiological regulator to enhance the safety and efficacy of statins.
- When to take statins; Lovaza versus OTC fish oil supplements. DeDea, Larissa // JAAPA: Journal of the American Academy of Physician Assistants (;May2011, Vol. 24 Issue 5, p23
The article offers the author's insights on the proper administration of statins, and on the difference between Lovaza and over-the-counter (OTC) fish oil supplements. The author says that it is still unknown whether taking statins during evening to lower cholesterol can lead to better results...