Morris Kahn And the Joys Of Diving
- Benjamin Kahn. McGirk, Tim; Klein, Aaron J. // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/29/2007, Issue 42, p46
The article discusses the environmental activism of Benjamin Kahn and his efforts to preserve the coral reefs of the Red Sea. The son of an Israeli billionaire and investor in aquariums, Kahn and a group of marine biologists for the group Zalul successfully fought the fish farming industry in...
- Satellite-imaging technology helps study an underwater world. // Christian Science Monitor;11/22/2000, Vol. 92 Issue 254, p18
Discusses plans of scientists to use satellites to study coral reefs in an effort to help protect them.
- More facts. // Ranger Rick;Feb95, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p30
Suggests the protection of coral reefs by not buying any kind of coral and saltwater aquarium fish or other salwater creatures.
- Cultivating red coral. // UNESCO Courier;Apr93, Vol. 46 Issue 4, p28
Reports that unlike reef-building warm-water coral, which requires substantial amounts of sunlight, red coral, the kind used in jewelry, grows in the shade of caves. Danger of overexploitation; Total disappearance in some areas; General Fisheries Council for the Mediterranean approval of an...
- New plan to protect ocean's crown jewels. Richey, Warren // Christian Science Monitor;11/19/99, Vol. 91 Issue 248, p3
Takes a look at the use of satellite surveillance photographs by the United States National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) to monitor and preserve coral reefs in the United States.
- Wrecking the reefs. Nash, J. Madeleine; Burton, Sandra // Time International (South Pacific Edition);10/28/96, Issue 44, p88
Examines how coral ecosystems are being threatened worldwide. Increasing alarm of scientists; Benefits of coral reefs; Facts on coral; Human disregard for reefs that threatens the fragile ecosystems; Abuse of reefs in the Philippines.
- Protecting coral reefs on Egypt's Sinai coast. Battersby, John // Christian Science Monitor;9/26/95, Vol. 87 Issue 211, p12
Discusses the novel environmental program called Ras Mohamed National Park Sector Development Project for coral and coastal preservation of Egypt's Sinai coast. Description of coast and damage caused by tourists; Diving sites; Relations between environmentalists and developers in the project;...
- Requiem for reefs? Hinrichsen, Donald // International Wildlife;Mar/Apr97, Vol. 27 Issue 2, p12
Gives information on how the people of island of Apo, off the southern coast of Negros in the Philippines, saved their coral reefs, and increased their fish catches, by preserving a portion of the coral reef from fishing. Who was responsible for this idea; Comments from Jesus Delmo, president of...
- Travel to exotic foreign lands! See beautiful coral reefs!... Matsen, Bradford // Mother Jones;May/Jun98, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p60
Presents information on the author's campaign to save the coral reefs in Jamaica and Florida. Background information on corals; Activities of man that contribute to its mass extinction; Comments from several marine biologists; Biological functions of coral reefs. INSETS: Sunken treasures, by...