LHD launch paves the way for amphibious transformation
- Australia Seeks Greater Commonality In RAN Ships and Ship Systems. Preston, Antony // Sea Power;Nov2002, Vol. 45 Issue 11, p33
Reports on the efforts of the Australian Defense Material Organization (DMO) to increase the operational availability of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Warships operated by RAN; Shipping acquisition plans of the RAN; Design standards established by RAN; Costs related to increase in...
- Australia considering scuttling Fremantle LOTE. Rivers, B. // Journal of Electronic Defense;Feb2000, Vol. 23 Issue 2, p18
Reports on the possible discontinuation of the Australian government's Project Sea 1389 which concerns its Royal Australian Navy's Fremantle patrol boats. Original plan for the patrol boats; Possibility of acquiring new boats; Lack of modern sensors and systems in the Fremantle boats.
- Russian warship flotilla shadowed off Australia. HOLLINGSBEE, TREVOR // Ausmarine;Dec2014, Vol. 37 Issue 2, p12
The article reports on the deployment of ships of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN) to monitor the Russian warship flotilla in Australia's Exclusive Economic Zone in 2014.
- Opposition Claims Crewing and Operational Problems with RAN Ships. // Australian Maritime Digest;Mar2011, Issue 199, p6
The article reports on the problems faced by Australia's navy forces following a news release by Shadow Defense Minister, Senator David Johnson, that only 16 out of 54 Royal Australian Navy (RAN) ships were fully operational and crewed for the first six months of 2010.
- Preferred Tenderer Announced For Anzac Frigate Maintenance. // Australian Maritime Digest;Apr2012, Issue 211, p12
The article reports on the five-year contract for the maintenance and repair of the Navy's eight Anzac Class frigates to the Naval Ship Management Australia as the preferred tenderer by the Australian Government.
- HMAS Parramatta Hands Over Middle East Duties. // Australian Maritime Digest;Apr2012, Issue 211, p12
The article reports on the move of the HMAS Parramatta which is an Anzac class frigate of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN), to hand over their Middle East duties to HMAS Melbourne after completion of a successful six-month maritime security and interception operation deployment.
- ANOTHER ANZAC SHIP PROJECT? // Asia-Pacific Defence Reporter;Sep2012, Vol. 38 Issue 7, p22
The article reports that the navies of Australia and New Zealand are planning to replace their three supply ships within 10 years. It informs that the system upgrades are in progress for the two ANZAC frigates with Frigate System Upgrades and are planned for completion by 2017. It informs that...
- Manitowoc 21000 to Australia. // International Cranes & Specialized Transport;Dec2009, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p7
The article focuses on bringing the Manitowoc Model 21000 crawler crane in Australia for assembly work in construction of warships for the Royal Australian Navy. The Air Warfare Destroyer Alliance (AWD) joint venture has let a contract worth about 14 million dollars for the provision of the...
- DEADLY SMOKESCREEN. Bell, John // Bulletin with Newsweek;05/16/2000, Vol. 118 Issue 6224, p24
Discusses details of the disaster involving the HMAS Westralia, the largest ship in the Royal Australian Navy, in 1998. Four fatalities resulting from the fire that erupted in the engine room; Evidence of incompetence, mismanagement and breaches of safety protocols; Results of the investigation...