Knowledge of cervical tuberculosis lymphadenitis and its treatment in pastoral communities of the Afar region, Ethiopia
- Identification and genotyping of the etiological agent of tuberculous lymphadenitis in Ethiopia. Beyene, Demissew; Bergval, Indra; Hailu, Elena; Ashenafi, Senait; Yamuah, Lawrence; Aseffa, Abraham; Wiker, Harald G.; Engers, Howard; Klatser, Paul; Sviland, Lisbet // Journal of Infection in Developing Countries;2009, Vol. 3 Issue 6, p412
Background: In Ethiopia, little has been done to assess how Mycobacterium bovis has contributed to human tuberculosis, though the population routinely consumes unpasteurized milk and raw meat. The aim of this study was to determine the proportion of M. tuberculosis and M. bovis as etiological...
- Molecular detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis from bovine milk samples. BhanuRekha, V.; Gunaseelan, L.; Pawar, Ganesh; Nassiri, Reza; Bharathy, Sukumar // Journal of Advanced Veterinary & Animal Research;Mar2015, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p80
Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium bovis are the major causes of tuberculosis. These may infect many animal species, and are likely to be the main source of infection in humans. A total of 181 bovine raw milk samples and 123 pre-scapular lymph node biopsy samples were collected and...
- First-Time Detection of Mycobacterium bovis in Livestock Tissues and Milk in the West Bank, Palestinian Territories. Ereqat, Suheir; Nasereddin, Abedelmajeed; Levine, Hagai; Azmi, Kifaya; Al-Jawabreh, Amer; Greenblatt, Charles L.; Abdeen, Ziad; Bar-Gal, Gila Kahila // PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases;Sep2013, Vol. 7 Issue 9, p1
Background: Bovine tuberculosis, bTB, is classified by the WHO as one of the seven neglected zoonontic diseases that cause animal health problems and has high potential to infect humans. In the West Bank, bTB was not studied among animals and the prevalence of human tuberculosis caused by M....
- An outbreak of tuberculosis in Lleyn sheep in the UK associated with clinical signs. van der Burgt, G. M.; Drummond, F.; Crawshaw, T.; Morris, S. // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;1/19/2013, Vol. 172 Issue 3, following p69
This case report describes an outbreak of Mycobacterium bovis infection a Lleyn sheep flock associated with clinical signs of illthrift. There was no known direct contact with tuberculous cattle although bovine tuberculosis (bTB) is endemic in the area. The spoligotype isolated from the diseased...
- A Cross Sectional Study of Mycobacterium bovis in Dairy Cattle in and Around Lahore City, Pakistan. Tipu, Muhammad Yasin; Chaudhary, Zafar Iqbal; Younus, Muhammad; Rabbani, Masood // Pakistan Journal of Zoology;2012, Vol. 44 Issue 2, p393
The article discusses a study which estimates the prevalence of Mycobacterium bovis (M. bovis) in dairy cattle in Lahore City, Pakistan. The study analyzed milk samples by conventional (culture) and modern (PCR) methods. It says that 454 out of 1,000 samples were positive with polymerase chain...
- Mycobacterium bovis, but also M. africanum present in raw milk of pastoral cattle in north-central Nigeria. Cadmus, Simeon; Yakubu, Mohammed; Magaji, Abdullahi; Jenkins, Akinbowale; Soolingen, Dick // Tropical Animal Health & Production;Aug2010, Vol. 42 Issue 6, p1047
Using deletion typing technique, five mycobacteria isolated from unpasteurised milk samples from cows in north-central Nigeria were characterized as Mycobacterium bovis ( n = 4) and M. africanum ( n = 1). This report emphasizes that transmission between the animal and human reservoir is a...
- Mycobacterium bovis causing clinical disease in adult sheep. van der Burgt, Guda // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;3/6/2010, Vol. 166 Issue 10, p306
The article reports on the outbreak of clinical tuberculosis (TB) and Mycobacterium bovis in a flock of Lleyn sheep in Gloucestershire, England.
- A Sure shot. Coghlan, Andy // New Scientist;2/16/2002, Vol. 173 Issue 2332, p17
Examines the development of vaccine for tuberculosis in Africa. Causes of the disease; Use of Mycobacterium bovis in the creation of the vaccine; Strains of mycobacteria.
- Disinfection procedures and TB in cats. Gibbens, Nigel // Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;5/3/2014, Vol. 174 Issue 19, p455
A letter to the editor is presented in response to the article "Feline tuberculosis caused by Mycobacterium bovis," D. Gunn-Moore in the March 29, 2014 issue.