Ceftaroline: Potential role and implications in an era of escalating antimicrobial resistance
- Ceftaroline: A new broad-spectrum cephalosporin. Lim, Lauren; Sutton, Elizabeth; Brown, Jack // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;3/15/2011, Vol. 68 Issue 6, p491
Purpose. The pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics, clinical efficacy, and safety of ceftaroline are reviewed. Summary. Ceftaroline, a new broadspectrum antibiotic, is approved for the treatment of complicated skin and skin structure infections (cSSSIs) and community-acquired pneumonia (CAP). This...
- Pneumococcal disease in western Europe: burden of disease, antibiotic resistance and management. Cartwright, Keith // European Journal of Pediatrics;2002, Vol. 161 Issue 4, p188
Streptococcus pneumoniaeâ€“ the pneumococcusâ€“ affects children and adults worldwide. Invasive pneumococcal disease, including pneumonia, meningitis and bacteraemia, has been linked annually to the deaths of millions of children. The pneumococcus is also a significant contributor to...
- Relationship Between Differences in 16-, 14-, and 15-Membered Ring Macrolides and Streptococcus pyogenes Resistance. Braga, P. C. // European Journal of Clinical Microbiology & Infectious Diseases;Feb2002, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p146
This article focuses on the relationship between differences in 16, 14 and 15-membered ring macrolides and Streptococcus pyogenes resistance. The extensive use of erythromycin has been accompanied by an increasing prevalence of macrolide-resistant bacterial strains. This resistance is...
- Multidrug-Resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in a Child Care Center--Southwest Georgia, December 2000. // MMWR: Morbidity & Mortality Weekly Report;1/4/2002, Vol. 50 Issue 51/52, p1156
Summarizes results of the investigation on a person-to-person transmission of a Streptococcus pneumoniae strain resistant to penicillin at a child care center in Georgia. Number of pneumococcal serotypes identified; Mean age of children carrying the index strain; Risk factors for carriage of...
- SALVAGE OF A PROSTHETIC KNEE JOINT INFECTED WITH RESISTANT PNEUMOCOCCUS. Brian, Susan Riddle; Kimbrough III, Robert C. // Journal of Bone & Joint Surgery, American Volume;Oct2004, Vol. 86-A Issue 10, p2302
Describes the management of a patient who was found to have a multidrug-resistant pneumococcal infection in the prosthetic knee joint. Treatment strategies used for the pathogen; Antibiotic regiment administered on the patient; Nature of the condition.
- Drug-resistant cases of invasive pneumococcal disease were prevalent. // Infectious Disease News;Jul2008, Vol. 21 Issue 7, p23
The article focuses on a study which found that penicillin-resistant invasive pneumococcal infections were almost as prevalent as penicillin-susceptible ones in a central Missouri study population. In this study, medical records of 60 pediatric patients aged 1 month to younger than 18 years old...
- Telithromycin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. Goldstein, Fred; Vidal, Barbara; Kitzis, Marie D. // Emerging Infectious Diseases;Sep2005, Vol. 11 Issue 9, p1489
Presents a letter to the editor on telithromycin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae.
- Icelandic researchers are showing the way to bring down rates of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. Stephenson, Joan // JAMA: Journal of the American Medical Association;1/17/96, Vol. 275 Issue 3, p175
Reports on the results of an Icelandic study led by Karl G. Kristinsson, on the incidence of penicillin-resistant pneumococci (PRP) causing Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in the country. Background on the study; Measures taken by the country to combat the increased incidence of PRP-caused...
- The Observatory. News. // MLO: Medical Laboratory Observer;Oct2010, Vol. 42 Issue 10, p6
No abstract available.