TITLE

Malignant catarrhal fever in sika deer (Cervus nippon) in the UK

AUTHOR(S)
Foyle, K. L.; Fuller, H. E.; Higgins, R. J.; Russell, G. C.; Willoughby, K.; Rosie, W. G.; Stidworthy, M. F.; Foster, A. P.
PUB. DATE
October 2009
SOURCE
Veterinary Record: Journal of the British Veterinary Association;10/10/2009, Vol. 165 Issue 15, p445
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
The article discusses the discovery of malignant catarrhal fever (MCF) in sika deer in Great Britain. MCF is characterized by vasculitis, lymphoproliferation, and erosive-ulcerative mucosal and cutaneous lesions. Its susceptibility is varied between deer species and greatest in white-tailed deer, red deer, and sambar deer. The findings of its postmortem examination includes severe mucosal pallor, abdominal fat necrosis, and haemorrhagic rhinitis.
ACCESSION #
59645256

 

Related Articles

  • ORYX: NEW MULEY KILLER? Johnson, Tyler D. // Field & Stream;Aug2004, Vol. 109 Issue 4, p21 

    In a recent study, a high percentage of the African oryx in New Mexico— which were first introduced to the White Sands Missile Range in late 1960's, tested positive for exposure to a new form of malignant catarrhal fever (MCF). They haven't exhibited any symptoms and the disease could be...

  • The prevalence of ovine herpesvirus-2 in 4 sheep breeds from different regions in South Africa. Bremer, C. W. // Journal of the South African Veterinary Association;Jun2010, Vol. 81 Issue 2, p93 

    About 90% of bovine malignant catarrhal fever (BMCF) PCR-positive cases in South Africa are caused by alcelaphine herpesvirus-1 (AIHV-1) and the other 10 % by ovine herpesvirus-2 (OvHV-2). The prevalence of OvHV-2 in different sheep breeds in South Africa was determined in order to investigate...

  • Time off in loo. Mestel, Rosie // New Scientist;07/26/97, Vol. 155 Issue 2092, p28 

    Looks at efforts to understand why people tend to get sick on holidays. Exposure to pathogens; Weakening of the immune system; Mind-body connection; Effect of stress on the body's immune system; Activation of herpesviruses.

  • diathesis.  // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p643 

    A definition of the term "diathesis," which refers to the constitutional predisposition to certain diseases or conditions, is presented.

  • diathetic.  // Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary (2009);2009, Issue 21, p643 

    A definition of the term "diathetic," which pertains to diathesis, is presented.

  • Expression of Ovine Herpesvirus -2 Encoded MicroRNAs in an Immortalised Bovine – Cell Line. Nightingale, Katie; Levy, Claire S.; Hopkins, John; Grey, Finn; Esper, Suzanne; Dalziel, Robert G. // PLoS ONE;May2014, Vol. 9 Issue 5, p1 

    Ovine herpesvirus-2 (OvHV-2) infects most sheep, where it establishes an asymptomatic, latent infection. Infection of susceptible hosts e.g. cattle and deer results in malignant catarrhal fever, a fatal lymphoproliferative disease characterised by uncontrolled lymphocyte proliferation and non...

  • Psoriasis prediction from genome-wide SNP profiles. Shenying Fang; Xiangzhong Fang; Momiao Xiong // BMC Dermatology;2011, Vol. 11 Issue 1, p1 

    Background: With the availability of large-scale genome-wide association study (GWAS) data, choosing an optimal set of SNPs for disease susceptibility prediction is a challenging task. This study aimed to use single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) to predict psoriasis from searching GWAS data....

  • Acceptance of disability. Watkins, Jean // GP: General Practitioner;5/8/2009, p38 

    The article offers information on the diseases that have been categorised under disability. It mentions on a woman who has undergone extensive surgery for adenocarcinoma of the colon and had to endure the constant leaking fistula. It cites an 88-year-old man with a bilateral inguinal herniae...

  • Environmental epigenomics and disease susceptibility. Jirtle, Randy L.; Skinner, Michael K. // Nature Reviews Genetics;Apr2007, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p253 

    Epidemiological evidence increasingly suggests that environmental exposures early in development have a role in susceptibility to disease in later life. In addition, some of these environmental effects seem to be passed on through subsequent generations. Epigenetic modifications provide a...

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of VIRGINIA BEACH PUBLIC LIBRARY AND SYSTEM

Sign out of this library

Other Topics