A Parameter Optimization Method to Determine Ski Stiffness Properties From Ski Deformation Data
- The Dynamics of Ski Skating. Driessel, Kenneth R.; Fink, Philip; Hentzel, Irvin R. // UMAP Journal;Winter2004, Vol. 25 Issue 4, p375
In this article the authors presents a mathematical model to measure the synamics of ski skating and the optimization problems related to it. The classic technique, wherein the skis stay in a track parallel to the direction of motion, was replaced by a skating technique, where the ski moves at...
- How Gate Setup and Turn Radii Influence Energy Dissipation in Slalom Ski Racing. Supej, Matej; Holmberg, Hans-Christer // Journal of Applied Biomechanics;Nov2010, Vol. 26 Issue 4, p454
This study examined whether gate setup and turn radii influence energy dissipation in slalom skiing. 3D kinematical measurements were performed over two runs on the same slope in a WC slalom competition with two different gate setups: 1) open gates (OG) and 2) open gates with a delayed gate...
- Test method for empirically determining inertial properties of manual wheelchairs. Eicholtz, Matthew R.; Caspall, Jayme J.; Dao, Phuc V.; Sprigle, Stephen; Ferri, Al // Journal of Rehabilitation Research & Development;2012, Vol. 49 Issue 1, p51
The iMachine is a spring-loaded turntable used to measure inertial properties of irregularly shaped rigid bodies, specifically manual wheelchairs. We used a Newton-Euler approach to calculate wheelchair mass and center of mass (CM) location from static force measurements using load cells. We...
- By the Numbers. // Ski;Oct2010, Vol. 75 Issue 1, p14
The article presents statistics related to skies including number of ski testers, number of skis tested, and average number of test runs per tester.
- Slope and slide. Cravatta, Matthew // American Demographics;Aug97, Vol. 19 Issue 8, p34
Presents statistics on alpine skier and snowboarder participation in cold weather entertainment based on the 1996 National Skier/Boarder opinion Survey. Statistics on the total number of ski resort attendees surveyed; Average number of days people hit the slopes; Increases in snowboarding...
- NUMEROLOGY. // Ski;Jan2004, Vol. 68 Issue 5, p24
Presents some numerical facts about skiing.
- BY THE NUMBERS: SKIING'S 2009 TEST TEAM. // Skiing;Sep2008, Vol. 61 Issue 1, p101
The article presents statistics on the 2009 test team of the periodical "Skiing".
- The Skiing Countdown. Lessman, Kathleen; Olsson, Helen // Skiing;Nov98, Vol. 51 Issue 3, p44
Unveils statistics on skiing since 1948. Skiing publications that are celebrating golden anniversaries in 1998.
- Ski Jumping Takeoff in a Wind Tunnel With Skis. Virmavirta, Mikko; Kivekäs, Juha; Komi, Paavo // Journal of Applied Biomechanics;Nov2011, Vol. 27 Issue 4, p375
The effect of skis on the force-time characteristics of the simulated ski jumping takeoff was examined in a wind tunnel. Takeoff forces were recorded with a force plate installed under the tunnel floor. Signals from the front and rear parts of the force plate were collected separately to examine...