Orthotics work in mysterious ways
- Study Shows Lace-up Ankle Braces Keep Athletes on the Court. // Sports Medicine Standards & Malpractice Reporter;Oct2011, Vol. 23 Issue 4, p63
The article discusses about the study of using lace-up ankle braces to keep athletes on avoiding getting injured on the court. According to the author a research presented at American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine's Annual Meeting in San Diego was to show about the effectiveness of...
- Designing an ACL Injury Prevention Program. Garcia, Amado // Rehab Management: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Rehabilitatio;Nov/Dec2011, Vol. 24 Issue 9, p24
The article presents an anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) injury prevention program designed for physical therapy which can help reduce injuries and even promote athletic success. It notes that an ACL prevention program must address issues of mobility, coordination, balance, strength, and...
- Knee Ligament Ruptures and Orthotic Support. Danchik, John // American Chiropractor;2002, Vol. 24 Issue 1, p29
Focuses the common athletic injury on knee ligament ruptures and its prevention. Prevention treatment of athletic injuries; Identification of predisposing postural factors on athletes; Emphasis on the excessive pronation in the mechanism of injury.
- A slam dunk. Hopkins, Tracy E.; Johnson, Kirk A.; Jones, Sally; McIntosh, Claire R.; Ridley, Teresa L. // Heart & Soul;Jul/Aug98, Issue 28, p20
Focuses on mouthguards, an equipment that can help avoid tooth injuries from playing sports. Three types of mouthguards; Their prices.
- Industry leaders team up against sports injuries. // Optometry Times;Aug2012, Vol. 4 Issue 8, p10
The article reports that Prevent Blindness America, The Coalition to Prevent Sports Eye Injuries and Liberty Support joined efforts to support September as Sports Eye Injury Prevention Month.
- Protect kids from warm-weather sports injuries. Pratt, Timothy // South County Journal;4/25/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 17, pB2
In the article, the author discusses how to protect children from injuries like sprains and strains during sporting events and activities, including the wearing of appropriate safety gears for their sport.
- Knee Bracing: Current Usage in Sports and Rehabilitation. Adams, Brian J. // Rehab Management: The Interdisciplinary Journal of Rehabilitatio;Mar2013, Vol. 26 Issue 2, p24
The article discusses the usage of knee bracing in the world of sports medicine which seems to be as commonplace in the field with any other protective equipment used in the U.S. It states that the use of braces supports and protects the hinges from ligament damage when playing different sports....
- One minute with... Benno Nigg. Swain, Frank // New Scientist;3/5/2011, Vol. 209 Issue 2802, p31
The article presents an interview with Benno Nigg, the sports scientist who designs sport shoes like the Predator soccer boot and unstable Masai shoes. He argues that it is best to choose running shoes based on comfort and that expensive shoes are not necessarily more effective in preventing...
- Effect of Stretching and Strengthening Shoulder Muscles on Forward Shoulder Posture in Competitive Swimmers. Kluemper, Mark; Uhl, Tim L.; Hazelrigg, Heath // Journal of Sport Rehabilitation;Feb2006, Vol. 15 Issue 1, p58
Context: Imbalanced shoulder muscles might cause poor posture in swimmers, which has been implicated as potential cause of injury. Objective: To determine whether a training program can reduce forward shoulder posture. Design: Prospective pseudorandomized. Setting: College swimming pool....