High prevalence of vitamin D insufficiency and its association with BMI-for-age among primary school children in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Subclinical Vitamin D Insufficiency in Korean School-aged Children. Sang Woo Han; Ha Ra Kang; Han Gyum Kim; Joo Hyun Kim; Ji Hyun Uhm; Ji Young Seo // Pediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology & Nutrition;Dec2013, Vol. 16 Issue 4, p254
Purpose: Recently, vitamin D insufficiency has increased and has been correlated to growth and puberty in children. This study was conducted to find the prevalence of subclinical vitamin D insufficiency and its influence on school-aged children in Korea. Methods: The subjects of this study were...
- CORRECTION. // Mayo Clinic Proceedings;Apr2013, Vol. 88 Issue 4, p424
A correction to the article "Effect of Country of Origin, Age, and Body Mass Index on Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in a US Immigrant and Refugee Population" that was published in the January 2013 issue is presented.
- Vitamin D deficiency and calcium intake in reference to increased body mass index in children and adolescents. Al-Musharaf, Sara; Al-Othman, Abdulaziz; Al-Daghri, Nasser; Krishnaswamy, Soundararajan; Yusuf, Deqa; Alkharfy, Khalid; Al-Saleh, Yousef; Al-Attas, Omar; Alokail, Majed; Moharram, Osama; Yakout, Sobhy; Sabico, Shaun; Chrousos, George // European Journal of Pediatrics;Jul2012, Vol. 171 Issue 7, p1081
Vitamin D deficiency has been linked to several chronic diseases in adults. Studies focusing on children and adolescents, however, are limited. In this randomized cross-sectional study, we aimed to determine the prevalence of vitamin D deficiency and its relationship with childhood obesity and...
- THE GROWTH CHARTS OF ESTONIAN SCHOOLCHILDREN. COMPARATIVE ANALYSIS. SALM, ERIK; KÄÄRIK, ENE; KAARMA, HELJE // Papers on Anthropology;2013, Vol. 22, p171
The current growth charts of Estonian children are based on the data collected in 1996. The aim of this article is to study whether children still correspond to these norms. For that purpose, an overview is given of the height, weight and body mass index of Estonian schoolchildren. These...
- The effects of allergic rhinitis on growth, development and body mass indexes in school children. Paksoy, Mustafa; Eken, Mehmet; Aydın, Sedat; Oktay, Z. Alev; Hardal, Ümit; Sanlı, Arif; Zeren, Neslihan Y. // Indian Journal of Otolaryngology & Head & Neck Surgery;Jan-Mar2010, Vol. 62 Issue 1, p64
The purpose of this study is to determine the frequency of allergic rhinitis (AR) in children and investigate if allergenic rhinitis demonstrated any effects on developmental growth levels and body mass indexes (BMI) in children. 651 students, between 3â€“15 years of age who were randomly...
- Vitamin D status and functional performance in peripheral artery disease. McDermott, Mary M; Liu, Kiang; Ferrucci, Luigi; Tian, Lu; Guralnik, Jack; Kopp, Peter; Tao, Huimin; Van Horn, Linda; Liao, Yihua; Green, David; Kibbe, Melina; Criqui, Michael H // Vascular Medicine;Nov2012, Vol. 17 Issue 5, p294
The clinical implications of low vitamin D in peripheral artery disease (PAD) are unknown. We hypothesized that among individuals with PAD, lower levels of 25-hydroxyvitamin D would be associated with poorer functional performance, more adverse calf muscle characteristics, and poorer peripheral...
- General Session 1: Free Papers. // Topics in Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation;Spring2013 Supplement, Vol. 19, p5
The article presents abstracts on medical topics including the use of venlafaxine XR drug for major disorder after spinal cord injury (SCI), improving the measurement properties of depressive symptom instruments for use after SCI, and factors affecting car transfer performance in paraplegia.
- Antworten zur MangelernÃ¤hrung aus PRAXIS Nr. 11. // Praxis (16618157);6/5/2013, Vol. 102 Issue 12, p755
No abstract available.
- Lack of efficacy of ergocalciferol repletion. Kebede, Amal; Ephrussi, Corey; Lamanna, Meredith; Scheirer, Jorge; Alweis, Richard; Wasser, Thomas // Journal of Community Hospital Internal Medicine Perspectives (JC;2012, Vol. 2 Issue 1, p1
Introduction: Vitamin D has become an area of intensive scrutiny, both in medical and lay literature. However, there are limited data to suggest proper repletion regimens for those patients who have hypovitaminosis D. Consequently, various methods are used in clinical practice. The aim of this...