Managing Obesity as First-Line Therapy for Diabetes Mellitus
- Bariatric surgery not cost saving but "good value.". // PharmacoEconomics & Outcomes News;10/30/2010, Issue 615, p8
The article discusses research on the value of bariatric surgery in treating type 2 diabetes in severely obese patients, which references the study "Cost-effectiveness of Bariatric Surgery for Severely Obese Adults With Diabetes," by T. J. Hoerger, published in the September 2010 issue of...
- HU: Weight-Loss Surgery Can Reverse Diabetes. Parker, Cheylin // Washington Informer;4/5/2012, Vol. 47 Issue 25, p19
The article provides information on studies that support bariatric surgery as a way to cure Type 2 Diabetes and obesity.
- Remission of type 2 diabetes with bariatric surgery. // Internal Medicine Alert;3/15/2010, Vol. 32 Issue 5, p39
The article reports that bariatric surgical procedures can provide remission of type 2 diabetes within days, aside from producing substantial weight loss.
- Distal Small Bowel Resection with the Preservation of the Terminal Ileum: A Novel Model to Study the Role of the Gut in Glucose Homeostasis. Duan, Jinyuan; Zhou, Jianping; Tan, Cai; Yuan, Lianwen // Obesity Surgery;Mar2014, Vol. 24 Issue 3, p435
A letter to the editor is presented in response to two articles in a 2012 issue of the periodical on topics, one on bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes and other on bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for obesity and diabetes.
- Bariatric surgery can 'cure' diabetes. // Pulse;Oct2013, p15
The article reports on the results of a new study which show that obese patients with type 2 diabetes who have undergo bariatric surgery remained cured six years later after the surgery.
- It's OK to Disagree. Shikora, Scott // Obesity Surgery;Jun2013, Vol. 23 Issue 6, p735
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses several articles within the issue on topics including bariatric surgery, benefits of metabolic surgery, and treatment of patients with type II diabetes mellitus.
- Archives of Surgery: Study compares sleeve gastrectomy with medical treatment in obese patients with type 2 diabetes. // Biomedical Market Newsletter;4/21/2012, Vol. 21, p1
The article discusses a study published online by "Archives of Surgery," a JAMA Network publication, comparing a bariatric surgical procedure with conventional medical treatment in morbidly obese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.
- Introducing "International Perspective: Obesity and Bariatric Surgery Trends Around the World". Rosenthal, Raul J. // Bariatric Times;Apr2014, Vol. 11 Issue 4, p3
An introduction is presented in which the editor discusses various articles within the issue on topics including a checklists for bariatric surgery, the surgical treatment of type 2 diabetes and the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Spring Educational Event.
- Scientists discover a gene involved in diabetes and obesity. Josefson, Deborah // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);03/13/99, Vol. 318 Issue 7185, p689
Reports on the gene discovered by Canadian scientists that is implicated in obesity and type 2 diabetes. Significance of the discovery; Experimental procedure involving mice; Mechanism of increased insulin sensitivity.