WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANSï¿½: THE JOURNEY FROM DUTY TO MORAL CHOICE
- Truth, Reconciliation, and the Restoration of the State: Coetzee's "Waiting for the Barbarians." Urquhart, Troy // Twentieth Century Literature;Spring2006, Vol. 52 Issue 1, p1
This essay examines the functions of the South African Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC), a part of the Department of Justice and Constitutional Development, in the country's justice system based on J. M. Coetzee's book "Waiting for the Barbarians." The Promotion of National Unity and...
- THE AGONY AND THE ALLEGORY. // Cultural Critique;Winter2001, Issue 47, p215
A literary criticism is presented of the book "Waiting for the Barbarians," by J. M. Coetzee, in which the author examines the literary foreignness of the novel's language in the way it uses allegory, and the relation of this literary strategy with the foreignness of South African apartheid....
- TORTURE AND THE NOVEL: J.M. COETZEE'S WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS. Van Zanten Gallagher, Susan // Contemporary Literature;Summer88, Vol. 29 Issue 2, p277
Focuses on the imagination of torture and death as depicted in the novel 'Waiting for the Barbarians,' by J.M. Coetzee. Implication of torture for exerting diabolic fascination; Impact of the torture chamber on the life of man of conscience; Context of the novel.
- 2022 YEAR OF THE TIGER. // Adbusters;Jan/Feb2014, Vol. 22 Issue 1, p64
The article focuses on predictions of terrorist attacks in the year 2022. Topics discussed include violent acts of terrorists, terrorist attacks on buildings and barbarians attack. It also discusses the book 'Waiting for the Barbarians' by J. M. Coetzee. It presents photographs depicting facts...
- Chapter Two: The Space of Waiting for the Barbarians. Hamilton, Grant // Cross / Cultures: Readings in the Post / Colonial Literatures in;2012, Vol. 142, p51
A literary criticism of the book "Waiting for the Barbarians," by J. M. Coetzee is presented. It argues that Coetzee's text not only offers two combative images of space but also two dynamic conceptualizations and operations of space. It outlines the characters and explores the symbolic...
- Resistance Waiting for the Barbarians. // Cross / Cultures: Readings in the Post / Colonial Literatures in;2011, Vol. 140, p81
A literary criticism of the book "Waiting for the Barbarians" by J. M. Coeze is presented. It explores the novel's presentation of the figure of the torturer as a voyeur and spectator and the significance of these characteristics. It assesses the author's refusal to assign meaning to certain...
- Waiting for the Barbarians. Blake, Richard A. // America;9/25/1982, Vol. 147 Issue 8, p157
The article reviews the book "Waiting for the Barbarians," by J. M. Coetzee.
- WAITING FOR THE BARBARIANS (Book). Adams, Phoebe Lou // Atlantic (02769077);Jun82, Vol. 249 Issue 6, p101
Reviews the book 'Waiting for the Barbarians,' by J.M. Coetzee.
- The Body, The Word, and the State: J. M. Coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians. Eckstein, Barbara // Novel: A Forum on Fiction;Winter1989, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p175
Focuses on the book "Waiting for the Barbarians," by J. M. Coetzee. Background of the book which analyzes the relationship between language and torture; Comments of literary critic Lance Olsen against the language used by Coetzee in his book; Political implications of Coetzee's analysis of the...