Texas Board of Ed Signals Ending Textbook Adoptions
- Texas Weighs in on Social Studies Texts, but Holds off on Adoption. // Educational Marketer;10/11/2010, Vol. 41 Issue 20, p2
The article offers information on the resolution approved by the Board of Education in Texas which calls for the rejection of prejudicial social studies submissions that offends the state law. It mentions that the resolution lists social studies texts of gross pro-Islamic and anti-Christian...
- Texas Restricts Influence Of Text-Advisory Boards. // Education Week;2/19/2014, Vol. 33 Issue 21, p4
The article reports that as of January 2014, the Texas board of education has approved increased restrictions on who can serve on volunteer panels that evaluate and criticize textbooks, specifically mandating that teachers or professors be given priority.
- Texas Board of Ed. OKs Science Standards. // Educational Marketer;4/13/2009, Vol. 40 Issue 8, p6
The article focuses on the approval of the new science curriculum standards in primary schools by the Texas Board of Education wherein it aims to remove the requirement to teach the strengths and weaknesses of evolutionary theory.
- Cartoon. // Hays Free Press (Buda, TX);5/12/2010, Vol. 107 Issue 6, p4A
A cartoon is presented which shows how the Texas Education Board makes social studies a religious subject.
- In Cinque. Howard, Renetta W. // Jackson Advocate;6/3/2010, Vol. 72 Issue 33, p5A
In this article the author discusses the move of the Texas Board of Education to revise its Social Studies curriculum in 2011.
- Much Ado About Texas: Civics in the Social Studies Curriculum. Williams, J. Kelton; Maloyed, Christie L. // History Teacher;Nov2013, Vol. 47 Issue 1, p25
The article examines revisions made to the social studies curriculum in Texas public schools in 2010 and compares the changes to Texas's 1998 standards. It analyzes the process for social studies standards revisions in Texas through the Texas State Board of Education (SBOE), the state of social...
- Texan Attempt to Alter Minority History. // Language Magazine;Jun2010, Vol. 9 Issue 10, p7
The article reports on the efforts made by the Texas Board of Education (TBE) to modify its Social Studies standards. It states that the board is determined to revise the standards to celebrate the achievements of its past generations. It notes that the changes are proposed mostly by the...
- Debate Brewing Over How to Teach Science. // NSTA Express;6/9/2008, p2
The article reports that the Texas Board of Education will be reviewing the state's science standards. According to Houston Chronicle reporter Gary Scharrer, after feuding for months over how to teach schoolchildren to read, the [Texas] State Board of Education will soon shift to a topic that...
- Evolution Debate Remains Vexing For Texas Board. Cavanagh, Sean // Education Week;4/1/2009, Vol. 28 Issue 27, p4
The article reports that scientists applauded the Texas board of education's tentative dropping of language from state education textbook policies requiring that students be taught strengths and weaknesses of evolution. The American Association for the Advancement of Science wrote a letter...