- Reference books bulletin. Bibel, Barbara; Quinn, Mary Ellen // Booklist;03/15/98, Vol. 94 Issue 14, p1270
Reviews the book `The Vice Presidents: A Biographical Directory,' by L. Edward Purcell.
- Presidents and Potential Presidents 1789-1946. // Congressional Digest;Mar1946, Vol. 25 Issue 3, p74
Presents a list of the Presidents and Vice-Presidents of the U.S. from the years 1789ï¿½1946. Number of years they served in office; Identification of their political affiliation; State from which they were elected.
- Split decision. Amar, Akhil Reed; Amar, Vik // Washington Monthly;Nov92, Vol. 24 Issue 11, p22
Suggests that one quick way to prevent another Quayle is to let the voters choose the veep. Constitutional requirements; Twelfth Amendment; Voting for the vice-president on a separate ballot; Electoral rules.
- History of the Vice Presidency. // American History Illustrated;Jan1985, Vol. 19 Issue 9, p10
Time has affirmed the effectiveness, stature, and durability of the office of Chief Executive since the first President was sworn in nearly 200 years ago. But the other office, the vice presidency, has fared less favorably over the years, receiving ridicule as well as respect.
- How to run for No. 2. Kaus, M.; Noah, T. // Newsweek;8/15/1988, Vol. 112 Issue 7, p21
Presents advice on how to campaign for selection as a Vice- Presidential running mate. Examples of current candidates' styles.
- The wrong way to pick a Veep. Borger, G.; Baer, D. // U.S. News & World Report;5/2/88, Vol. 104 Issue 17, p21
Both parties will have to avoid the mistakes of George McGovern and Walter Mondale when selecting a person to run on their ticket as Vice-President. Speculation about possible choices in both parties.
- Reference Books. Hupp, Stephen L.; Kohl, David F. // Reference & User Services Quarterly;Winter98, Vol. 38 Issue 2, p210
Reviews the book `The Vice Presidents: A Biographical Dictionary,' edited by L. Edward Purcell. ISBN 0-8160-3109-6
- Slipping on the second banana. Klein, Joe // Newsweek;7/13/1992, Vol. 120 Issue 2, p21
Offers a look at the vice presidential selection process. Questions who the 1992 Democratic candidate will be; Benefits of Mario Cuomo; Democrats see the vice presidency as a salvage operation; Way to add what is lacking from the presidential candidate; Vice presidential candidates of the past...
- That most perplexing office. // American History;Sep/Oct95, Vol. 30 Issue 4, p10
Reports on the holding of a conference of the vice presidency in the United States at the Hoover Presidential Library in West Branch, Iowa on October 24-26, 1995. Topics to be discussed in the conference; Examination of various individuals who became the country's vice president.