Higher Ed Sales Grow More Moderately In January
- Wiley Sees Digital Having Impact in Higher Education Results. // Educational Marketer;9/27/2010, Vol. 41 Issue 19, p2
The article offers information on the results of the fiscal 2011 first-quarter financial performance of John Wiley & Sons Inc. in the U.S. It mentions that the company's digital sales has impacted the margins of the higher education segment as its contribution to profit increased by 26 percent....
- Digital Helps To Drive Hard-Won Success In First Half of 2009. // Educational Marketer;8/17/2009, Vol. 40 Issue 16, p5
The article reports on the role of digital books in the success of the college market in the U.S. in the first half of 2009. It mentions the increase in net sales of instructional materials in the college market. According to Will Ethridge, chief executive officer (CEO) of Pearson PLC's North...
- Reflections on teaching and learning. Barzun, Jacques // Academic Questions;Spring91, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p30
Examines issues affecting higher education in the United States. Meaning of college to the incoming freshman; Changes in higher education in the country; Need for a fundamental reexamination of what it means to teach and learn.
- Affirmative action. Burgan, Mary // Academe;Mar/Apr96, Vol. 82 Issue 2, p2
Opinion. Suggests that the competition for spaces in what are considered the `best' colleges and universities in the United States is a narrow concept of higher education. Scenario to explain the point made; Pressure on affirmative action.
- One way to handle more students: Build. Baldauf, Scott // Christian Science Monitor;6/24/97, Vol. 89 Issue 146, p3
Reports that some colleges around the United States are building different campuses to meet the increasing demand for higher education. What these new campuses will offer students; Reference to a study that warns of the drastic nature of the changes needed; Comments made by Thomas Kean,...
- To graduate, more schools require a class in diversity. Farah, Samar // Christian Science Monitor;2/27/2001, Vol. 93 Issue 64, p12
Reports that many schools in the United States are requiring courses on diversity in order to graduate. Findings of a survey by the Association of American Colleges and Universities about what percentage of colleges and universities have a diversity requirement or are on the way to implementing...
- On mission and accountability. Tucker, Jim Guy // Education;Spring96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p333
Comments on the future of higher education in public institutions in the United States. Factors affecting higher education; Academy; Political arena; Mission of universities; Accountability.
- Colleges of education, the new realities and a broadened definition of scholarship. Hathaway, Charles E. // Education;Spring96, Vol. 116 Issue 3, p340
Presents a challenge to colleges of education to assume a unique leadership role in the academy as higher educators seek to redefine scholarship. Background on the role for colleges of education; Scholarship of discovery; Scholarship of integration; Teaching.
- Riding the wave of an education sea change. Brand, Myles // Indianapolis Business Journal;9/5/94, Vol. 15 Issue 23, p7A
Opinion. Discusses areas where change must be considered by higher education leaders in the United States. Balance between research and teaching; Development of level of accountability; Nurture of motivation to learn; Increase in productivity by preparing students before they enter...