High Hypoglycemia Risk with Low Plasma Glucose during Dialysis
- Occult or hidden hypoglycemia may occur in fasting diabetic patients. // Kidney;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p28
Presents an abstract of the study 'Hemodialysis-induced Hypoglycemia in Diabetic Patients,' by M.A. Jackson, M.R. Holland, J. Nicholas et al.
- Glucose-added dialysis fluid prevents asymptomatic hypoglycaemia in regular haemodialysis. Jayme Eduardo Burmeister; Aline Scapini; Diego da Rosa Miltersteiner; Marcelo Generali da Costa; Bruno Machado Campos // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Apr2007, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p1184
Background. Hypoglycaemia (HG) has been demonstrated during chronic haemodialysis (HD). These events may become more frequent with the current use of glucose-free bicarbonate dialysis solution, the standard formula in most dialysis facilities in the last decade. On the other hand, HG-related...
- An unusual case of severe high anion gap metabolic acidosis. Bavakunji, Riaz V.; Turner, Jake D.; Jujjavarapu, Sagar; Taal, Maarten W.; Fluck, Richard J.; Leung, Janson C.; Kolhe, Nitin V.; Selby, Nicholas M. // NDT Plus;Apr2011, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p90
We present a case of high anion gap metabolic acidosis with an unusual aetiology in a 75-year-old lady with hypoglycaemia, encephalopathy and relatively preserved renal function. Full toxicology and biochemical analysis suggested that she had an inborn error of metabolism, riboflavin-responsive...
- Insulin Requirement and Occurrence of Hypoglycemia in Patients Undergoing Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT) While on an Intensive Intravenous Insulin Protocol (IIIP). Bharaktiya, Shikha; Nelson, Sarah C.; Burns, Allassia; Davis, Anu B.; Boccalandro, Cristina; Lavis, Victor R. // Diabetes;Jun2007 Supplement 1, Vol. 56, pA584
In August 2006 we instituted a standardized HIP in the cardiovascular intensive care unit of our institution. The IIIP was modified from a published protocol based on the formula [(Current BG-60) X Sensitivity Factor] to determine the insulin infusion rate. The glycemic target was 80-110 mg/dL...
- Hypoglycemia frequently `diagnosed' but rarely true. // Environmental Nutrition;Feb98, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p7
Answers a question on hypoglycemia. Indications for having true hypoglycemia; Symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia; Tests for hypoglycemia; Association of anxiety to hypoglycemia; Tips on handling reactive hypoglycemia.
- Starving for sugar. Thurman, Jerome E.; Mooradian, Arshag D. // Patient Care;5/30/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p142
Presents a medical case study of a patient with multiple medical problems, who displayed symptoms of hypoglycemia. Description of symptoms experienced by this patient; Effect of treatment on this patient.
- The low blood sugar blues. Aesoph, Lauri M. // Vegetarian Times;Sep96, Issue 229, p98
Discusses hypoglycemia. Symptoms associated with hypoglycemia; Causes; Treatments.
- A nurse with hypoglycemia. // Patient Care;12/15/1995, Vol. 29 Issue 20, p144
Presents a case of a nurse with factitious hypoglycemia. Symptoms; Tests done; Occurrence of condition primarily in women in 20s and 30s; Plasma proinsulin levels; Treatment for condition. INSET: Differential diagnosis of unexplained hypoglycemia..
- Severe Hypoglycemia Accompanied with Thyroid Crisis. Nakatani, Yuki; Monden, Tsuyoshi; Sato, Minoru; Domeki, Nozomi; Matsumura, Mihoko; Banba, Nobuyuki; Nakamoto, Takaaki // Case Reports in Endocrinology;2012, p1
We report a 32-year-old Japanese women with severe hypoglycemia accompanied with thyroid crisis. She complained of dyspnea, general fatigue, and leg edema. She was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism with congestive heart failure and liver dysfunction. Soon after admission, sudden cardiopulmonary...