High Hypoglycemia Risk with Low Plasma Glucose during Dialysis
- Occult or hidden hypoglycemia may occur in fasting diabetic patients. // Kidney;Jan/Feb2001, Vol. 10 Issue 1, p28
Presents an abstract of the study 'Hemodialysis-induced Hypoglycemia in Diabetic Patients,' by M.A. Jackson, M.R. Holland, J. Nicholas et al.
- Glucose-added dialysis fluid prevents asymptomatic hypoglycaemia in regular haemodialysis. Jayme Eduardo Burmeister; Aline Scapini; Diego da Rosa Miltersteiner; Marcelo Generali da Costa; Bruno Machado Campos // Nephrology Dialysis Transplantation;Apr2007, Vol. 22 Issue 4, p1184
Background. Hypoglycaemia (HG) has been demonstrated during chronic haemodialysis (HD). These events may become more frequent with the current use of glucose-free bicarbonate dialysis solution, the standard formula in most dialysis facilities in the last decade. On the other hand, HG-related...
- An unusual case of severe high anion gap metabolic acidosis. Bavakunji, Riaz V.; Turner, Jake D.; Jujjavarapu, Sagar; Taal, Maarten W.; Fluck, Richard J.; Leung, Janson C.; Kolhe, Nitin V.; Selby, Nicholas M. // NDT Plus;Apr2011, Vol. 4 Issue 2, p90
We present a case of high anion gap metabolic acidosis with an unusual aetiology in a 75-year-old lady with hypoglycaemia, encephalopathy and relatively preserved renal function. Full toxicology and biochemical analysis suggested that she had an inborn error of metabolism, riboflavin-responsive...
- Insulin Requirement and Occurrence of Hypoglycemia in Patients Undergoing Renal Replacement Therapy (RRT) While on an Intensive Intravenous Insulin Protocol (IIIP). Bharaktiya, Shikha; Nelson, Sarah C.; Burns, Allassia; Davis, Anu B.; Boccalandro, Cristina; Lavis, Victor R. // Diabetes;Jun2007 Supplement 1, Vol. 56, pA584
In August 2006 we instituted a standardized HIP in the cardiovascular intensive care unit of our institution. The IIIP was modified from a published protocol based on the formula [(Current BG-60) X Sensitivity Factor] to determine the insulin infusion rate. The glycemic target was 80-110 mg/dL...
- Hypoglycemia frequently `diagnosed' but rarely true. // Environmental Nutrition;Feb98, Vol. 21 Issue 2, p7
Answers a question on hypoglycemia. Indications for having true hypoglycemia; Symptoms of reactive hypoglycemia; Tests for hypoglycemia; Association of anxiety to hypoglycemia; Tips on handling reactive hypoglycemia.
- Starving for sugar. Thurman, Jerome E.; Mooradian, Arshag D. // Patient Care;5/30/1998, Vol. 32 Issue 10, p142
Presents a medical case study of a patient with multiple medical problems, who displayed symptoms of hypoglycemia. Description of symptoms experienced by this patient; Effect of treatment on this patient.
- The low blood sugar blues. Aesoph, Lauri M. // Vegetarian Times;Sep96, Issue 229, p98
Discusses hypoglycemia. Symptoms associated with hypoglycemia; Causes; Treatments.
- A nurse with hypoglycemia. // Patient Care;12/15/1995, Vol. 29 Issue 20, p144
Presents a case of a nurse with factitious hypoglycemia. Symptoms; Tests done; Occurrence of condition primarily in women in 20s and 30s; Plasma proinsulin levels; Treatment for condition. INSET: Differential diagnosis of unexplained hypoglycemia..
- Correction. // American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy;7/15/2009, Vol. 66 Issue 14, p1247
A correction to the article "Hypoglycemia Associated With the Use of Levofloxacin" that was published in the June 1, 2009 issue is presented.