Worker Responses to Plant Closings
- Timing of Canopy Closure Influences Carbon Translocation and Seed Production of an Understorey Herb, Trillium apetalon (Trilliaceae). Takashi Y. Ida; Gaku Kudo // Annals of Botany;Feb2008, Vol. 101 Issue 3, p435
Background and Aims The light availability on a temperate, deciduous-forest floor varies greatly, reflecting the seasonal leaf dynamics of the canopy trees. The growth and/or reproductive activity of understorey plants should be influenced by the length of the high-irradiance period from...
- PolyOne closing U.K. plant. // Plastics News;11/28/2005, Vol. 17 Issue 39, p23
The article reports that PolyOne Corp. will close its color masterbatch plant in Manchester, England, early in 2006, cutting as many as 40 jobs. PolyOne stressed that the plant closing will not affect its customers in wire and cable products, engineering compounds and some concentrate ranges,...
- Plant Closings: Establishing Legal Obligations. Collins, Denis // Labor Law Journal;Feb89, Vol. 40 Issue 2, p67
The article examines efforts to establish legal obligations assigned to companies to protect employees from plant closings in the United States. The impact of plant closings on the lives of former employees and members of the local communities are also examined. Arguments for and against...
- More jobless--right on schedule. Gurliacci, David // Fairfield County Business Journal;7/19/2004, Vol. 43 Issue 29, p4
Reports on the increase in unemployment claims in Connecticut. Impact of shutdowns of larger factories on smaller ones that supply them; Expectation for the shutdowns; Plan for vacations around the expected layoffs by families.
- RCA Rubber to close Tenn. plant. McNulty, Mike // Rubber & Plastics News;11/15/2004, Vol. 34 Issue 8, p1
No abstract available.
- Desert stops output at 2 film plants. DeRosa, Angle // Plastics News;3/7/2005, Vol. 17 Issue 1, p1
No abstract available.
- Weyco to Close Ky. Corrugated Plant. // Official Board Markets;3/19/2005, Vol. 81 Issue 12, p3
Reports on the closure of the corrugated packaging facility of Weyerhaeuser Co. in Bowling Green, Kentucky. Number of jobs affected; Major damage in the plant; Statement of James Keller, senior vice president of the company, regarding the plant closure.
- Global keys on direct container program. Linville, Jeff // Furniture/Today;3/20/2006, Vol. 30 Issue 28, p2
The article reports on the closure of case goods importer Global Furniture's (GF) U.S. warehouse to focus on its direct container program. GF has seen its business shifts to large accounts that want the cost savings that come with containers from Asia. It is selling off about four million...
- downsizing. Mason, Mike // Globalization & Development: A Glossary;2005, p40
An encyclopedia entry for "downsizing" is presented. It is a euphemism for the termination of employment of working people usually in the interest of shareholder profit. Downsizing is an increasingly popular practice since the 1980s. Information is presented on the role of downsizing in the...