Selling Brisbane down the river
- Crumbling away. Pearce, Fred // New Scientist;12/21/96 Double Issue, Vol. 152 Issue 2061/2062, p14
Focuses on the erosion of Britain's coastline due to offshore dredging. Rapid erosion of the coast road in Norfolk; Vulnerability of eastern England to erosion; Reduction in the sea's supply of sediments to beaches; Solutions planned for Norfolk's defenses.
- L.A. Supervisors Approve MdR Channel Entrance Dredging. Hill, Taylor // Log Newspaper;11/25/2011, Issue 908, p13
The article reports on the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors' approval of a dredging project at the channel entrance of Marina del Rey in Los Angeles, California. The project aims to remove the contaminated sediment from the area, while cleaning up the navigational hazards for the boaters...
- The Bird That Laid A Golden Egg. Poff, Michael // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Jul2003, p30
Reports on the erosion control project in Charlotte County, Florida. Restoration of the recreational beach by creating habitats for nesting turtles and shore birds; Dredging of the hydraulically-efficient Stump Pass channel; Terms and conditions of the permit requirements. INSET: Weeks At Work.
- Island Erosion? Not Us! // DPC: Dredging & Port Construction;Feb2010, p7
The article reports on the responsibility of the Port of Brisbane Corp. regarding the erosion that occurred during a recent dredging in Bribie Island, Queensland.
- Addressing an Optimal Schedule for Inlet Bypassing. Walton, Jr., Todd L.; Dean, Robert G. // Journal of Coastal Research;Nov2011, Vol. 27 Issue 6, p87
St. Augustine Inlet is located on the NE coast of Florida, connecting the Atlantic Ocean to the Tolomato and Matanzas rivers. The inlet is unique because it was relocated in the 1940s, resulting in considerable perturbations to the adjacent coastal system, especially the downdrift (southern)...
- Ask nature to protect and build-up beaches Charlier, R. H.; De Meyer, C. P. // Journal of Coastal Research;Spring2000, Vol. 16 Issue 2, p385
The Belgian coast is protected for 50% by hard constructions including slanting seawalls and groins. Most of them were built after the extremely severe 1953 storm. The other 50% of the coast consist of dune-belts and beaches. More than a century ago a groin field was implanted in front of the...
- Mathematical Modeling of Soil Dredger Absorption Processes in the Underwater Bottomhole. Bondarenko, ?. ?. // Metallurgical & Mining Industry;2012, Vol. 4 Issue 3, p149
The mathematical design of particles motion processes in the submarine face basic areas is executed. Analytical dependences for determination of characteristic rates of particles movement in the submarine face basic areas are obtained. The system of differential equalizations of particles motion...
- Peruvian parish follows the flow of the river. FRASER, BARBARA // National Catholic Reporter;7/31/2015, Vol. 51 Issue 21, p1
In this article, the author focuses on the degradation in the MaraÃ±Ã³n River in northeastern Peru. Topics discussed include target of the developers on the river for its conversion to dams and dredging; changing the river floe leading to the acceleration of riverbank erosion; appealing from...
- MODELAÃ‡ÃƒO DA EROSÃƒO DO SOLO DA BACIA HIDROGRÃFICA DO RIO LEÃ‡A, COMA EQUAÃ‡ÃƒO RUSLE E SIG. Petan, S.; Taveira-Pinto, F.; Miko, M.; Pais-Barbosa, J. // Recursos HÃdricos;May2010, Vol. 31 Issue 1, p99
RUSLE methodology was used for soil loss prediction and identification of areas with high potential erosion in the LeÃ§a river basin located in the Northern of Portugal. The sediment yield from the basin is of a special interest since the harbour basin of Porto de LeixÃµes, lying at the...