Clinical practice guidelines as marketing tools
- A partnership to resolve the conundrum. King, Peter // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);03/22/97, Vol. 314 Issue 7084, p890
Discusses the partnership between ethics committees and a drug company's medical division in protecting the patients from exploitation during clinical trials. Moral obligations of drug companies to continue drug treatment after the end of the trial; Patients' groups' need to understand the...
- Clinical trials: two neglected ethical issues. Herxheimer, Andrew // Journal of Medical Ethics;Dec93, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p211
Studies the ethical reasons behind clinical trials. Systematic reviews, publications, and registration of clinical trials; Implications.
- Clinical trials--a brave new partnership: A response to Mrs. Thornton. Baum, Michael // Journal of Medical Ethics;Mar94, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p23
Comments on an article by Hazel Thornton in the March 1994 issue of the `Journal of Medical Ethics' which focuses on a clinical trial in Great Britain. Ethical dilemma in involving a patient in a randomized controlled trial (RCT); Need to inform the public on the benefits and harm of RCTs.
- Randomised controlled trials: Ethical and legal issues. // Journal of Medical Ethics;Sep94, Vol. 20 Issue 3, p180
Announces the holding of a two-day course for physicians, nurses and members of research ethics to consider the ethical and legal issues in undertaking randomized controlled trials scheduled for November 22-23, 1994 at the British Postgraduate Medical Federation (BPMF) Central Office in...
- When is a confirmatory randomized clinical trial needed? Berry, Donald A. // JNCI: Journal of the National Cancer Institute;11/20/96, Vol. 88 Issue 22, p1606
Editorial. Questions the need for confirmatory clinical trials in medicine. Objectives of clinical trials; Resources needed; Relevance to the clinical management of disease.
- Aftercare for participants in clinical research: Ethical considerations in an asthma drug trial. Harth, S.C.; Thong, Y.H. // Journal of Medical Ethics;Aug95, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p225
Discusses ethical considerations in aftercare for participants in clinical research in the context of an asthma drug trial. Feasibility for investigators and sponsors to provide for the medical care of subjects; Moral obligation of society to compensate and reward subjects who take the risk for...
- How the West gets well. Day, Michael // New Scientist;05/17/97, Vol. 154 Issue 2082, p14
Focuses on the moral and ethical issues surrounding the conduct of clinical trials in poor countries by Western drug companies and medical researchers. Inhuman treatment received by many research subjects; Use of people in poor countries like laboratory rats; Testing of HIC drugs in Africa where...
- Trouble ahead for clinical trial. Smith, Richard // BMJ: British Medical Journal (International Edition);12/17/88, Vol. 297 Issue 6663, p1567
Focuses on the dispute over the ethics of clinical trials. Commitment of doctors in trials to patients; Concept of therapeutic equipoise; Accounts on the falsifying of entry criteria by doctors.
- Is it ethical to give patients placebos in clinical trials? McCann, Brian // Drug Topics;6/2/97, Vol. 141 Issue 11, p64
Discusses the ethical aspects of using placebos in clinical trials. Conflict between the goals of science and the individual patient; Use of placebos as a violation of the Declaration of Helsinki; Remarks of public health professor Kenneth Rothman regarding the issue.