Is Charlie Ready to Deal?
- EchoStar Opts for Hughes' Short-Term Profitability Over TerraStar's Long-Term Potential. Hill, Jeffrey // Satellite News;3/2/2011, Vol. 34 Issue 9, p5
The article reports on the closing of EchoStar's 2 billion dollars acquisition of Hughes Communications Inc. deal by the end of 2011. It is stated that EchoStar's 10 satellite-network and leading position in the video transmitting market will benefit Hughes, following the completion of the deal....
- Wall Street Sizes Up a Satellite Merger. Moss, Linda; Farrell, Mike; Hearn, Ted // Multichannel News;7/24/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 29, p8
The article reports on the possible merger of DirecTV Inc. and satellite-TV rival EchoStar Communications Corp. Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. owns 38% of DirecTV. According to Murdoch, they have to go a very painful negotiation with EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen. According to one Wall Street...
- All those opposed... Storey, Denis // Satellite Broadband;Feb2002, Vol. 3 Issue 2, p44
Focuses on the proposed merger of telecommunication company EchoStar with Hughes Electronics Corp. Oppositions to the merger; Actions taken by the National Association of Broadcasters as a response to the proposed merger; Views of EchoStar's Charlie Ergen.
- EchoStar makes its case for DirectTV buy. Match, David; Mermigas, Diane // Electronic Media;11/5/2001, Vol. 20 Issue 45, p29
Reports the merger plan between EchoStar Communications and DirectTV in the United States. Plans of EchoStar to purchase DirectTV; Impact of the plan on lawmakers; Comments of EchoStar chairman Charlie Ergen on the issue.
- Pols mull bird in hand over 2 in sky. McClintock, Pamela // Variety;12/10/2001, Vol. 385 Issue 4, p26
Reports on the efforts of EchoStar executive Charlie Ergen to convince regulators to approve the proposed merger with DirectTV. Concerns on the merger of the two companies; Arguments of Ergen for the deal; Testimony of Ergen during a congressional hearing.
- Ergen: DirecTV Rebuffed My Bid. Hogan, Monica // Multichannel News;11/20/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 47, p12
Reports on EchoStar Communications Corp. chairman Charlie Ergen's claim that DirecTV Inc. has rebuffed his attempts to discuss how EchoStar might make a bid for its direct-broadcast satellite rival's assets. DirecTV parent General Motors' consideration of the sale of Hughes Electronics Corp.,...
- Charlie's Angel. Mundy, Alicia // Cable World (10427228);4/1/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 13, p12
Addresses issues surrounding the support of Eugene Kimmelman, head of Consumers Union, to the proposed acquisition of DirectTV by EchoStar led by Charlie Ergen. Problems in the proposed deal; Opposition to the proposed deal; Hearing held by the Anti-Trust Subcommittee of the Judiciary Committee.
- ERGEN'S NEW PITCH. Mundy, Alicia // Cable World (10427228);5/6/2002, Vol. 14 Issue 18, p6
Focuses on the proposed merger of EchoStar Communications Corp. with DirecTV Inc. in the U.S. as of May 2002. Reason given by EchoStar chief executive officer Charlie Ergen for promoting the merger; Support given by Rep. Rick Boucher (D.-Va.).
- Ergen: No Quick Data Deal. Farrell, Mike // Multichannel News;3/20/2006, Vol. 27 Issue 12, p16
Reports on the possibility that EchoStar Communications CEO Charlie Ergen might be open to a joint broadband venture with rival DirecTV Group Inc. Plans of Echostar in providing capacity for high definition television services and to provide backup for existing satellites; Comments from Ergen...