Simmons: Bookstores Lost Ground in 2008
- CHAPTER 11: BOOKS. Miller, Richard K.; Washington, Kelli // Entertainment, Media & Advertising Market Research Handbook;2011, Issue 11, p97
Chapter 11 of the book "The 2011 Entertainment, Media & Advertising Market Research Handbook," 11th edition, is presented. It explores data on the book industry in the U.S. Total sales at book stores in 2009 amount to 16.60 billion U.S. dollars, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. It also notes...
- Death of the gay bookshop? Glenwright, Danny // Xtra (Toronto);1/12/2012, Issue 710, p6
The article discusses the challenges faced by gay and lesbian bookstores including technology such as e-readers and the iPad, as well as competition from larger bookstores and online stores.
- Sunny in California. Rosen, Judith // Publishers Weekly;3/10/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 10, p22
Presents updates on bookstores in California, as of March 2003. Comparison between the two locations of Book Soup Bookstore; Features of the new stationery store of Vroman's; Background on Vroman's Bookstore.
- Midnight Special Hopes to Reopen. Nowatka, Edward // Publishers Weekly;3/10/2003, Vol. 250 Issue 10, p24
Reports on the decision of the Midnight Special bookstore to close its location in Santa Monica, California on February 24, 2003. Reason behind the move; Plan of the bookstore to move to a new place; Views of owner Margie Ghiz on the move.
- Feeding the dinosaurs: Economic concentration in the... Bekken, Jon // Publishing Research Quarterly;Winter97/98, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p3
Examines the still-emerging patterns of dominance in the United States (US) retail book sector. Structure of the book industry; Findings of the 1982 Census of Retail Trade; Historical overview on bookstore chains with high book sales; Implications of chain ownership; Conclusions.
- March store sales up 6%. // Publishers Weekly;5/24/1999, Vol. 246 Issue 21, p14
Reports on the increase in sales performance of retail book stores in the United States for March 1999.
- U.S. Publishing Industry. // Publishing Research Quarterly;Spring98, Vol. 14 Issue 1, p75
Discusses the status of the United States trade books. Effect on the revenues of bookstores on the decline in the US trade book sales in 1997; Exports in 1997; Statistic of US book industries' purchases, sales, production, employment and earnings from 1996 to 1997; US exports and import of books.
- Between the Lines. Flamm, Matthew // Entertainment Weekly;7/26/2002, Issue 664, p63
Presents an update related to the book industry of the U.S. as of July 26, 2002, such as the plan of bookseller Clara Villarosa to open a bookstore in New York City.
- Weak start for bookstore sales. // Publishers Weekly;3/29/1999, Vol. 246 Issue 13, p10
Reports that bookstore sales got off to a slow start in the United States in January 1999.