China struggles to rebuild mental health programs
- Effect of psychiatric illness and labour market status on suicide: a healthy worker effect? Agerbo, Esben // Journal of Epidemiology & Community Health;Jul2005, Vol. 59 Issue 7, p598
Study objective: To describe the association between labour market status and death by suicide with focus on admission with a psychiatric disorder. Design: Nested case-control study. Data from routine registers. Setting: Entire Danish population. Participants: 9011 people aged 25-60 years who...
- The Future of Mental Health Awareness: A Global Perspective. Bennett, Kathrnyn S. // Humanist;Sep/Oct2001, Vol. 61 Issue 5, p18
Focuses on the future of global mental health awareness. Estimation on the number of people suffering from some form of mental disorder; Description of high-risk populations; Benefits of instituting a worldwide mental health awareness effort.
- Updating suicide prevention policy to provide a safer service. Gordon, Vanessa // Mental Health Practice;Dec2009, Vol. 13 Issue 4, p11
The article focuses on the importance of updating suicide prevention policies to be able to provide a safer service to people with mental illness. It mentions that the Suicide Prevention Toolkit of the National Institute for Mental Health in England has been updated in 2009 to include changes...
- New life for old mental hospitals. Sillars, Les // Alberta Report / Newsmagazine;03/09/98, Vol. 25 Issue 12, p35
Focuses on the debate in Alberta over treatment of mentally-ill patients in mental hospitals or community-based programs. Reports that many people leave institutions only to end up in jail or on the street; Objections that hospitals are dehumanizing warehouses; Former Provincial Mental Health...
- VULNERABLE TO CUTS? Goldie, Nigel // Community Care;2/13/2003, Issue 1459, p36
Asserts that mental health budgets are under pressure and services remain dislocated in many areas in Great Britain, despite aspirations set out by the National Service Framework (NSF). Role of primary care trusts in funding mental health services; Problems encountered by the NSF in service...
- An interdisciplinary look at the deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill. Krieg, Randall G. // Social Science Journal;2001, Vol. 38 Issue 3, p367
Examines the impact of deinstitutionalization of the mentally ill on the mentally ill, the community, family members and taxpayers in the United States. Absence of emphasis on self-determination in the US Constitution for mental health care; Cost of deinstitutionalization to society;...
- Nigeria: Lagos begins free mental treatment. Bateman, Chris // CME: Continuing Medical Education;Oct2011, Vol. 29 Issue 10, p433
The article reports that the Lagos State Government created a mental health policy to ensure free treatment of mental illnesses in all levels of healthcare services.
- RECOVERY FROM A SEVERE PSYCHIATRIC DISABILITY: FINDINGS OF A QUALITATIVE STUDY. Smith, Mieko Kotake // Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal;Fall2000, Vol. 24 Issue 2, p149
The study reported in this article relies upon a qualitative analysis of the personal stories of recovery of 10 persons beset by persistent and severe psychiatric disability. An analysis of these 10 extended interviews yielded specific findings the author associated with such major themes as the...
- Boost for young psychosis sufferers. // Community Care;9/19/2002, Issue 1440, p10
Deals with the social strategy in Great Britain aimed at improving services for young people with psychosis diagnoses. Overview of the strategy; Provisions of the declaration; Support given by government officials.