Chain Bookstores: Second Annual Holiday Sales Slump Foretells Year-End Declines
- Big Three: Another Year, Another Decline, But Are Things Looking Up? // Book Publishing Report;Apr2009, Vol. 34 Issue 4, p8
The article reports on the sales performance of publishers Borders, Barnes & Noble Inc., and Books-A-Million Inc. in the U.S. in 2009. The net sales of these publishers reached an average of 961.1 million dollars, while their net income decreased to an average of 52.1 million dollars. Borders...
- Retailing Watch: How the Tide Went Out On Chain Bookstores. // Book Publishing Report;Jan2013, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p11
The article discusses the decline in retail sales among major bookstore chains in the U.S. in 2012. It states that the notable decrease in holiday sales of Barnes & Noble Inc. indicates a negative implication in the book industry in 2013. It mentions that bookstore chain sales percentage dropped...
- Bookstore Buyers Rose Slightly Over Summer. // Book Publishing Report;Oct2011, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p12
The article reports on the condition of bookstore buyers in the U.S. It notes that for the past four seasons, bookstores remained the most popular channel by which a consumer buys a book. An insight from Barnes and Noble Inc. chief executive officer (CEO) William Lynch on the possible profit of...
- Chain Sales Rose 9.5% in Second Quarter to $1.6 Billion. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;9/11/2000, Vol. 247 Issue 37, p9
Reports on the increase in total revenues at United States' four largest bookstore chains in the second quarter ended July 31, 2000. Sales increase posted at Barnes & Noble; Rise in comparable-store sales at Books-A-Million; Factor that boosts Crown Books' second quarter sales.
- Barnes & Noble booking more NE Ohio stores. Hardin, Angela Y. // Crain's Cleveland Business;05/01/2000, Vol. 21 Issue 19, p4
Reports on New York-based book retailer Barnes and Noble Inc.'s plan to open several book stores in Northeast Ohio as of May 1, 2000. Company background.
- SHOPPInG arounD. Williams, Geoff // Cincinnati Magazine;Jan2002, Vol. 35 Issue 4, p38
Features the Barnes & Noble in Cincinnati, Ohio. Description about the place; Services offered in the bookshop; Merchandise of the store.
- The ten percent solution. // New York;12/09/96, Vol. 29 Issue 48, p25
Reports that the hardcover discount prices were cut in half at the New York City Barnes & Nobles bookstores in October, 1996. Discounts from 20 percent cut down to ten; Opinion that the reduction was to due to holiday shopping; Criticism of Barnes & Noble; Reaction from Barnes & Noble...
- B & N opens huge store in Paramus. Mutter, John // Publishers Weekly;Aug1995, Vol. 242 Issue 33, p12
Reports on Barnes and Noble's opening of its bookstore in Paramus, New Jersey. Bookstore as the largest in the United States; Description of the bookstore.
- Bookseller shops for super sites. McClain, Randy; Parent, Tawn // New Orleans CityBusiness (1994 to 2008);11/21/94, Vol. 15 Issue 20, p8
Reports on the plan of Barnes & Noble bookstore chain to open a super store either in Uptown New Orleans or in Metaire, Louisiana.