Economy the Scapegoat Once Again
- Latest Quarterly Results Erratic; Profits Flat or Down. // Book Publishing Report;May2008, Vol. 33 Issue 5, p10
The article offers information about the business activities of several publishers in 2007 and 2008 in the U.S. Simon & Schuster Inc. experienced a 32 percent decline in its operating profit for the first quarter of 2008 and a 12 percent drop in the first quarter of 2007. HarperCollins...
- HC reports strong gains in profits. Milliot, Jim // Publishers Weekly;2/16/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 7, p111
Notes that HarperCollins continues to report improved operating results, as of February 1998, compared to 1997. Statistics about finances; Sales in second quarter; Reasons for improvements; Optimism for second half of year; Mention of new children's editorial director.
- NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER SCORECARD: THE PUBLISHERS. // Book Publishing Report;12/2/2002, Vol. 27 Issue 47, p3
Presents the New York Times bestseller ratings scorecard of publishers. HarperCollins; Scholastic; Simon & Schuster.
- RH Puts New Cooking Title on Top of NYT Advice/Misc. List. // Book Publishing Report;11/13/2006, Vol. 31 Issue 44, p7
The article reports on developments related to the book industry and trade in the U.S. Random House has the top two titles on the hardcover side including "Barefoot Contessa at Home" and "Ageless." Simon & Schuster is paced by the No. 4 title on the hardcover list with Paula Deen's "Paula Deen...
- News Briefs. // Publishers Weekly;11/12/2012, Vol. 259 Issue 46, p5
The article offers publishing industry news briefs as of November 12, 2012, on topics including publisher Simon & Schuster's third-quarter 2012 earnings announcement, changes to publisher HarperCollins's distribution logistics, and a director change at publisher Quarto.
- S&S, Harper launch Spanish line for spring. Oder, Norman // Publishers Weekly;1/2/1995, Vol. 242 Issue 1, p31
Reports on the launching of Spanish imprints by Simon & Schuster for its nonfiction books and HarperCollins for its fiction, nonfiction and children's books. Views from company officials; Price; Marketing issues.
- Publishers See Help in Q3, Though 2009 Still Lags. // Book Publishing Report;Nov2009, Vol. 34 Issue 11, p1
The article reports on the business performance of several publishers in the U.S. for the third quarter (Q3) of 2009. Harlequin Ltd. reported 20.8 million dollars in operating profit and 111.5 million dollars in revenue and gained from the cost-cutting measures applied by Torstar, its parent...
- Profits Jump at HC In First Quarter. // Publishers Weekly;11/23/1998, Vol. 245 Issue 47, p10
Notes that HarperCollins saw a rise in operating profit for the first quarter of 1998. Reasons for rise; Earnings; Sales gains; Ability to cut costs; Profit compared with the previous first quarter.
- The Good and the Bad of The Second Half of 2008. // Book Publishing Report;Mar2009, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p1
The article reports on the financial performance of the book industry in the second half of 2008 in the U.S. It reveals that publishing companies have recorded a decline in profit in the said period brought by the impact of the recession. Information on the financial performance of several...