TITLE

Continuous infusion of 5-FU with split-dose cisplatin: An e·ective treatment for advanced squamous-cell carcinoma of the head and neck

AUTHOR(S)
Zhiguo Luo; Jianhua Chang; Ye Guo; Hui Yu; Fangfang Lu; Xianghua Wu; Jin Li
PUB. DATE
February 2011
SOURCE
Clinical & Investigative Medicine;Feb2011, Vol. 34 Issue 1, pE8
SOURCE TYPE
Academic Journal
DOC. TYPE
Article
ABSTRACT
Purpose: The purpose of this study was to determine if a combination chemotherapy, using continuous intravenous infusion of "uorouracil (5-FU) in combination with split-dose cisplatin, in patients with recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous-cell could improve previously reported clinical outcomes. Methods: Forty-two patients with recurrent or metastatic head and neck squamous-cell cancer were treated by cisplatin (25 mg/m²/day on days 1-3) and 5-FU (750 mg/m²/day for 120 hours; continuous intravenous infusion on days 1 through 5) with a cycle that repeated every 3 weeks. Results: Of the 42 patients, 8 (19.1%) showed complete response and 12 (28.5%) demonstrated a partial response, giving an overall response rate of 47.6%. Response rates were significantly different for patients undergoing initial treatment vs. re-treatment:73.6% (14/ 19) vs. 25.9% (6/23), respectively (χ2=9.45, P<0.05). Median time to progression was 7.2 months and median overall survival was 13.7 months. The 1 year survival was 57.1%. Toxicity mainly included myelo-suppression, mucositis, nausea and vomiting. Conclusion: Chemotherapy with 5-FU by continuous intravenous infusion in combination with split-dose cisplatin is effective with a tolerable toxicity profile in patients with recurrent, or metastatic squamous-cell carcinoma of head and neck. The overall response was significantly higher in patients undergoing initial treatment in comparison with patients undergoing re-treatment after relapse.
ACCESSION #
58602613

 

Related Articles

Share

Read the Article

Courtesy of THE LIBRARY OF VIRGINIA

Sorry, but this item is not currently available from your library.

Try another library?
Sign out of this library

Other Topics