A Preoperative Smoking Cessation Intervention Increases Postoperative Quit Rates and May Reduce Postoperative Morbidity
- Reducing MIVS Wound Complication Risks. Dhoot, Olisher S.; Kaiser, Peter K. // Review of Ophthalmology;May2011, Vol. 18 Issue 5, p84
The article focuses on the techniques to reduce the risk of wound complication following the microincision vitrectomy surgery (MIVS) in the human eye. It mentions the potential of the MIVS to minimize postoperative inflammation while providing good visual results. It highlights several steps...
- Prospective clinical study of pre-operative SIB-IMRT in preparing surgical boundary of extremity soft tissue sarcoma. ZHOU, Y.; XIE, P.-M.; DONG, C.; XU, S.-L.; ZHOU, M.; BAI, J.-P. // European Review for Medical & Pharmacological Sciences;2015, Vol. 19 Issue 24, p4738
OBJECTIVE: To establish the preoperative simultaneous integrated boost intensity-modulated radiation therapy (SIB-IMRT) technology in preparing the surgical boundary of extremity soft tissue sarcoma (ESTS), aiming to investigate its impacts towards the short-term local control and post-operative...
- Remote Ischemic Preconditioning for Cerebral and Cardiac Protection During Carotid Endarterectomy: Results From a Pilot Randomized Clinical Trial. Walsh, Stewart R.; Nouraei, S. A.; Tang, Tjun Y.; Sadat, Umar; Carpenter, Roger H.; Gaunt, Michael E. // Vascular & Endovascular Surgery;Aug2010, Vol. 44 Issue 6, p434
Remote ischemic preconditioning (RIPC) is a physiological mechanism whereby brief ischemiareperfusion episodes attenuate damage by subsequent prolonged ischemic insults. It reduces myocardial injury following cardiac and aortic aneurysm surgery. We aimed to determine whether RIPC affects...
- Large bore phaco tip, femto laser lens fragmentation reduce effective phaco time. Gollamudi, Subba R.; Crothers, Andrew W. // Ocular Surgery News;10/10/2014, Vol. 32 Issue 19, p6
The article discusses a study describing a phacoemulsification technique using a large bore phaco tip with femtosecond laser nuclear fragmentation. The potential of the technique in reducing the effective phacoemulsification time (EPT) is highlighted. The need for further study evaluating the...
- Slim surgery's risk. Wolfe, Yun Lee // Prevention;Dec96, Vol. 48 Issue 12, p47
Tells that extra weight may complicate recovery from surgery. Results of a study that was published in the November 1995 issue of `American Surgeon'; Statistics on obesity and complications; Advice if you are overweight and scheduled for surgery.
- Ounce of prevention a lesson worth learning. Medow, Norman B. // Ophthalmology Times;04/15/97, Vol. 22 Issue 8, p12
Reviews the contributions of Joseph Lister and Louis Pasteur to the prevention of postoperative infections. Pasteur's discovery of the effect of germs on beer and wine; Lister's utilization of carbolic acid in preventing surgical infections; Advocacy of glove use in ophthalmic surgeries.
- Preparation, alertness help lessen surgical complications. Wright, Martha // Dermatology Times;Apr96, Vol. 17 Issue 4, p6
Reports on the advice of physician Mark R. Balle on the prevention of complications arising from dermatologic surgery as presented at the 1996 meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology. Importance of patient education; Good patient history as another important preparatory step; Need for...
- Tumescent Liposuction, Done Correctly, Offers Limited Complications. Moyer, Paula // Dermatology Times;Nov97, Vol. 18 Issue 11, p46
Focuses on the methods of carrying out tumescent liposuction procedures which offers limited complications. Importance of preoperative consultation in preventing complications; Preoperative measures taken to ensure patient satisfaction after surgery; Postoperative monitoring.
- Smoking. // New Zealand Doctor;4/24/2013, p33
The article presents information on a research conducted in the U.S., according to which only 20 minutes of exercise every day can help teenagers quit their smoking habit.