Social Networking Technology, Social Network Composition, and Reductions in Substance Use Among Homeless Adolescents
- Capacity building for health promotion and drug prevention in Croatia. Roviš, Darko // Journal of Public Health (09431853);Jul2011, Vol. 19, p57
im: Drug abuse, addictions, and drug-related crime represent one of the major and still rising problems in Croatia. Following the epidemic breakthrough in the 1990s, a system of prevention and treatment has developed. The aim of this paper is to analyze substance abuse in Croatia and its...
- Factores sociales para el uso de alcohol en adolescentes y jï¿½venes. Acosta, Laura D�bora; Fern�ndez, Alicia Ruth; Pillon, Sandra Cristina // Revista Latino-Americana de Enfermagem (RLAE);May/Jun2011 Supplement, Vol. 19, p771
This study examines the social risk and protection factors for excessive alcohol use, based on the data from the "National Survey on the prevalence of substance abuse in 2008", in a population of young Argentines, from 16 to 24 years of age. Bivariate and multivariate analyses were used. The...
- Intimate Partner Violence in Extremely Poor Women: Longitudinal Patterns and Risk Markers. Bassuk, Ellen; Dawson, Ree; Huntington, Nicholas // Journal of Family Violence;Aug2006, Vol. 21 Issue 6, p387
Despite high revalence rates of intimate partner violence in the lives of extremely poor women with dependent children, few studies have investigated the patterns of violence that occur over time, and the characteristics of women that serve as risk markers for partner violence. This paper...
- TWEENS EASILY INFLUENCED TOWARD SUBSTANCE ABUSE. // Contemporary Pediatrics;Apr2012, Vol. 29 Issue 4, p10
The article reports a study which found that tweens of children aged between 10 to 12 years tend to be easily influenced towards substance abuse, both cigarette and alcohol, and their negative biases towards the substances weaken due to social influences, peer pressure and images in the media.
- Utilizing Business, University, and Community Resources to Target Adolescent Prescription Drug Abuse. Wade-Mdivanian, Rebecca; Anderson-Butcher, Dawn; Hale, Kenneth; Kwiek, Nicole; Smock, Jill; Radigan, Dianne; Lineberger, Jessica // Prevention Researcher;Feb2012, Vol. 19 Issue 1, p17
The article reports on efforts which are being made in 2012 by the Cardinal Health Foundation (CHF), the Ohio State University (OSU), and several community based agencies to address the growing problem of prescription drug abuse among adolescents in the U.S. A discussion of Generation Rx, a...
- How Drugs Hijack YOUR BODY. Markarian, Margie // Current Health Kids;Oct2010, Vol. 34 Issue 2, p12
The article reports on the consequences of drug abuse to one's brain, health and future.
- Energy Drink Consumption in Teens May Increase Likelihood of Alcohol and Drug Use. // Journal of Psychosocial Nursing & Mental Health Services;Apr2014, Vol. 52 Issue 4, p19
No abstract available.
- Psychometric properties of the OLQ-13 scale to measure Sense of Coherence in a communitydwelling older population. Naaldenberg, Jenneken; Tobi, Hilde; van den Esker, Franciska; Vaandrager, Lenneke // Health & Quality of Life Outcomes;2011, Vol. 9 Issue 1, p37
Background: With the ongoing demographic shift, the quality of life and health promotion among older individuals are becoming increasingly important. Recent research suggests that Sense of Coherence positively affects quality of life. Hence, a valid and reliable measurement of Sense of Coherence...
- Challenges to immunization: the experiences of homeless youth. // BMC Public Health;2012, Vol. 12 Issue 1, p338
The article presents the findings of a study conducted on examining the challenges of getting essential immunization vaccines experienced by homeless youth in Canada. It mentions that homelessness is a critical social issue which contributes in poor mental and physical health problems. It...