The Irish in Britain: settlers or transients?
- ï¿½Shanghai Beautiesï¿½ and African Desires: Migration, Trade and Chinese Prostitution in Cameroon. Ndjio, Basile // European Journal of Development Research;Sep2009, Vol. 21 Issue 4, p606
Cet article examine lï¿½attitude ambivalente des Camerounais ï¿½ lï¿½ï¿½gard des prostituï¿½es chinoises qui sont devenues des actrices majeures du commerce du sexe au Cameroun. Il suggï¿½re en particulier que ï¿½les beautï¿½s de Shanghaiï¿½, que les Camerounais...
- `The eagle to watch and the harp to tune the nation': Irish immigrants, politics and early... Harris, Howard // Journal of Social History;Spring90, Vol. 23 Issue 3, p575
Examines how Irish immigrants blended the ideas and values they brought with them from Ireland with indigenous artisan republicanism to help shape the nature of popular political activity in Paterson, New Jersey. Historians' acceptance of traditional notions about Irish immigrants;...
- SEX WORK IS WORK! // Capital Xtra (Ottawa);1/1/2009, Issue 198, p5
This article reports on a protest held at the Human Rights Monument during the International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers on December 17, 2008. More or less 30 boisterous sex workers and allies marched from the monument to the Ottawa Police Services headquarters and then mingled at...
- Prostitutes in High Demand in Kosovo. Vinogradov, Sergei // UN Chronicle;Mar-May2001, Vol. 38 Issue 1, p73
Reports the increase of prostitute women from Central and Eastern Europe in Kosovo, Serbia. Fees received by prostitute women per sexual favor; Average client of a prostitute in one night; Causative factor for the increase prostitution in the country. INSET: A First Conviction.
- 21ST CENTURY SLAVES. Cockburn, Andrew // National Geographic;Sep2003, Vol. 204 Issue 3, p2
This article focuses on the 21st Century slaves. Sherwood Castle, headquarters to Milorad Milakovic, the former railway official who rose to become a notorious slave trafficker in Bosnia, looms beside the main road just outside the northwest Bosnian town of Prijedor. In November 2000 the...
- 15,000 Asian sex slaves toil in British brothels. // Asian Pacific Post;8/26/2010, p8
The article focuses on the report titled "Setting The Record" which indicates that 17,000 of the 30,000 women involved in the off-street sex trade are migrants from China, Thailand, and Eastern Europe.
- NO MORE IRISH WILL APPLY. Healy, T. F. // Saturday Evening Post;1/1/1938, Vol. 210 Issue 27, p25
Discusses the Irish immigration and emigration in the U.S. Factors that influenced the Irish people to stop coming in the U.S.; Background on the Irish people as children of the Great Dispersion; Information on the Anglo-Irish struggle; Overview of the Celtic renaissance.
- Navigating the betwixt and between. Doyle, John // Counseling Today;May2005, Vol. 47 Issue 11, p16
Presents the author's account of his experiences as an Irish immigrant moving to the U.S.. Relevance of his past experiences to his work as a counselor; Crisis faced by the author's immigrant family.
- Forum on New Directions in Irish Immigration and Ethnic History. Bukowczyk, John J. // Journal of American Ethnic History;Summer2009, Vol. 28 Issue 4, p66
An introduction to a selection of articles concerning scholarship in Irish Immigration and Ethnic History is presented.