The landscape of labour history
- A question of national importance: approaches to the evaluation of ancient monuments for the Monuments Protection Programme in England. Darvill, Timothy; Saunders, Andrew; Startin, Bill // Antiquity;Nov87, Vol. 61 Issue 233, p393
When General Pitt-Rivers was appointed as first Inspector under the 1882 Act, which first protected British Ancient Monuments, the Act's Schedule named just 50 sites nationally. Although many monuments have been added to the Schedule since then, the growth in knowledge of the long and intensive...
- Protecting Jamaica's Underwater Cultural Heritage. Grant, Lisa // Jamaica Journal;2008, Vol. 31 Issue 3, p26
This article discusses the role of the Convention on the Protection of the Underwater Cultural Heritage (CPUCH) of the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) in assisting the ability of Jamaica to protect its underwater cultural heritage. It presents a...
- SAKRALINIÅ² VIETÅ² PIETRYÄŒIÅ² LEETUVOJE VERTÄ– IR APSAUGA. Juravičienė, Jūratė; Žvaliauskaitė, Sigita // Town Planning & Architecture;Sep2005, Vol. 29 Issue 3, p111
The paper discusses the problem of evaluation and preservation of sacral heritage. Southeastern Lithuania is chosen as a territorial object of investigation. Spatial structure is analysed as a basic characteristic of tradition in the historic development of sacral sites. Diminishing interest of...
- Heritage site review opens. // Planning (14672073);12/5/2008, Issue 1798, p1
The article reports on the launching of the consultation to identify the costs, benefits and responsibilities of the 27 world heritage sites in Great Britain. According to culture secretary Andy Burnham, the consultation will seek measures to clarify and strengthen protection of the world...
- THE LOST TREASURES OF THE AFGHANS. Dupree, Nancy Hatch // UNESCO Sources;May2001, Issue 134, p4
Reports on the widespread destruction of historical and cultural sites in Afghanistan initiated by the country's Taliban rulers. Description of some Afghanistan art; Reasons behind Taliban rulers' iconoclastic campaign; Goal of confining Afghan heritage to Islam.
- Land deals protect views from FDR National Historic Site. // Hudson Valley Business Journal;8/9/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 32, p14
The article reports on the protection of 128 acres on two properties in the Town of Lloyd by Scenic Hudson in Hudson River, New York.
- HACIA UNA LEGISLACIÃ“N SOBRE LA CONSERVACIÃ“N DEL PATRIMONIO CULTURAL: NORMATIVAS Y CONCEPTOS. SERRANO, Eliana DURAN // Revista de ArqueologÃa Americana;2001, Issue 20, p131
No abstract available.
- PRESIDENTS AND PRESERVATION - THE US ANTIQUITIES ACT OF 1906. Shelbourn, Carolyn // Art, Antiquity & Law;Dec2004, Vol. 9 Issue 4, p363
The article focuses on the authority granted to the U.S. President by the Antiquities Act of 1906 to declare sites of historic importance as national monuments. It states that the most obvious disadvantage of the Act is that it can restrict the grazing or mineral rights of individuals. The...
- BenediktÃnske klÃ¡Å¡tory na Slovensku a ich pamiatkovÃ© hodnoty. KALINOVÁ, MICHAELA // Cultural History / KultÃºrne Dejiny / Kulturgeschichte;2014, Vol. 5 Issue 1, p48
Today, the most important former Benedictine monasteries in Slovakia are being protected as cultural monuments. According to the categories defined by the Law on the Protection of Monuments and Historic Sites, the present paper briefly analyzes the fundamental heritage value of these...