Clement Payne and the Barbados Riots of1937
- A brief history of Barbados: CLEMENT PAYNE AND THE RIOTS OF 1937. // Barbados: Just Beyond Your Imagination;1996, p91
Information about Clement Payne and the riots of 1937 taken from a chapter of the book "Barbados: Just Beyond Your Imagination" is presented. Born in Trinidad in 1904, Payne was a member of radical groups fighting for political and social change in the West Indies. On July 26, 1937, public...
- Police riot in Kenya. E.N.I. // Christian Century;07/16/97, Vol. 114 Issue 21, p651
Reports on the riot instigated by the Kenyan paramilitary police at the All Saints Anglican Cathedral in Nairobi, on July 7, 1997. Attack on pro-reform advocates gathered in the cathedral; Reform people's seeking of refuge in the cathedral after being ejected from the Uhuru Gardens.
- Looking back at Stonewall. Dubro, James // Xtra (Toronto);6/18/2009, Issue 643, p19
The author discusses the Stonewall Inn riot in June 28, 1969 and the role of Pride Toronto as an apolitical organization.
- Compton's riot commemorated. // Bay Area Reporter;11/24/2011, Vol. 41 Issue 47, p6
A photograph is presented depicting Michelle Alcedo, Jasmine Jubilee, Felicia Elizondo, and Dee Yee Yubeta during the 45th anniversary of the 1966 Gene Compton's Cafeteria Riot in the Tenderloin in San Francisco, California.
- Left activists facing jail need support. // Green Left Weekly;3/21/2012, Issue 915, p19
The article presents information on the trial of six Zimbabwean activists and socialists who are facing the charge of inciting public violence related to the screening of a video in Zimbabwe in support of the Egyptian prodemocracy uprising.
- New York Police Clash With ACT UP On Two Occasions. Bull, Chris // Advocate;3/26/91, Issue 573, p23
Reports that clashes between the New York City police department and the direct-action group AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power (ACT UP) in February 1991 have fueled calls for the establishment of a civilian board to monitor police conduct in the city. Details of the skirmishes between police and...
- Russian amnesty includes Greenpeace as well as Pussy Riot. // Regional Today;12/19/2013, p4
The article focuses on Russia granting an amnesty to avoid trial for punk band Pussy Riot members and Greenpeace protesters against Arctic oil drilling while it marks the 20th anniversary of the Russian constitution and their preparation for the Sochi Winter Olympics in February 2014.
- China used lethal force during '08 Lhasa repression. // Tibetan Review: The Monthly Magazine on all Aspects of Tibet;Sep/Oct2014, Vol. 49 Issue 9/10, p5
The article reports that internal document from China has revealed the use of firearm without any restraint into crowds of protesters during riots instigated and orchestrated by the overseas Dalai clique in March 2008 in Lhasa, Tibet. Topics include the disproportionate force used by Chinese...
- The Saudi Problem. West, J. Robinson // International Economy;Nov/Dec2001, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p28
Focuses on the economic and political problems of Saudi Arabia. Occurrence of riots after the Gulf War; Petitions of religious activists to the government; Corruption charges within the Royal Family; Bankuptcy problems.