The ideology and iconography of May Day illustrations in Germany
- What's in a face? Portrait shift hints at China's next step. Platt, Kevin // Christian Science Monitor;5/1/97, Vol. 89 Issue 109, p1
Reports that red flags were draped around Tiananmen Square in China on May Day, 1997 in a ritual held every May Day since the 1949 communist revolution. Reference to the huge portrait of Chairman Mao Zedong displayed in the square; Why portraits of Stalin and Lenin are no longer displayed;...
- May Day to Be Celebrated Again in Istanbul's Taksim Square. // Journal of Turkish Weekly;4/25/2011, p20
The article presents brief information about the "Bloody May 1" incident in 1977 and Istanbul, Turkey's local authorities' granting permission for a May Day celebration for workers in Taksim Square.
- Rain did little to mar union message on May Day. Reynes, Damaso // New York Amsterdam News;05/07/98, Vol. 89 Issue 19, p10
Presents information on the activities held to commemorate May Day by union members and activists, with reference to the rain which fell on that day. Attack leveled at organized labor; Details on the lawsuit filed against the administration of Mayor of New York Rudolph Giuliani; Number of...
- AGENDA. Sather-Olson, Ira // Missoula Independent;4/29/2010, Vol. 21 Issue 17, p12
The article announces the Industrial Workers of the World's annual May Day celebration which begins on May 1, 2010 in Missoula, Montana.
- MAY DAY POSTER. // Creative Review;Jun2002, Vol. 22 Issue 6, p17
Describes a May Day poster in an anonymous London shop in England. Image of Churchill's May Day riots; Pleadings of the proprietor; Distribution of the photograph in e-mail boxes.
- `One day of revolt, not of rest!'. // Canadian Dimension;May/Jun96, Vol. 30 Issue 3, preceding p1
Recounts the first celebration of the May Day in Canada in 1886. Holding of a nationwide campaign for the eight-hour day; Declaration of May 1 as International Labour Day in 1889; Continued oppression of workers worldwide; Need for decent working conditions and for solidarity among workers.
- 'We are all Greeks'. // Green Left Weekly;5/16/2012, Issue 922, p3
The article presents information on the celebration of May Day in Sydney on May 6, 2012 by conducting a march based on the solidarity in the working group that included unemployed, students and small business owners.
- The History Of Labor Day. LEWIS, MARK // Southern Illinois Labor Tribune;9/1/2011, Vol. 75 Issue 5, Special section p6
The article offers information on the history of the Labor Day celebration in the U.S.
- May Day Rallies. // Progressive;Jul2012, Vol. 76 Issue 7, p10
Several photographs of rallies which were held on May Day in New York City, and Los Angeles, California, in the year 2012 are presented.