- HR lingoism. McCaul, Terry // Human Resources Magazine;Aug/Sep2013, Vol. 18 Issue 3, p24
The author criticizes the invention of new terms and business fads in the human resources (HR) industry. He describes the sharp contrasts between generations and how their underlying behaviors remain the same. He points out that the need to stop acting as the agent of language expansion and...
- Chapter 1: What's your affliction? Morris, Steve // Handbook of Management Fads;2/1/1998, p1
Chapter 1 of the book "The Handbook of Management Fads" is presented. It discusses job revitalization, a technique for raising motivation and output. It also explores perceptions of status and status plus empowerment, two key issues central in the breakthrough. It explains the author's reasons...
- How to tell fads from trends. Letscher, Martin G. // American Demographics;Dec94, Vol. 16 Issue 12, p38
Reports that distinguishing between long-term trends and short-term fads early gives companies a powerful competitive edge. Separating fads from trends by asking six questions; Examples of fads and trends in the United States.
- A follow up on four fabled frenzies. // Inc.;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p66
Presents a follow-up report on several popular fads. Hasbro's Cabbage Patch Kids; Ken Hakuta's Wacky Wallwalkers; Trivial Pursuit's success in 1984; The Pet Rock's beginnings; Demand; Their going price.
- In with the in crowd. // Brandweek;11/11/96, Vol. 37 Issue 43, p18
Highlights trends in cultural hubs like New York City, Los Angeles, California, Seattle, Washington and Austin, Texas. Personal beauty; Spiritual strengthening at spas and gyms; Indiscriminate spending; Fake fur; Cigar bars; Chai tea.
- The 1996 overrated list. // GQ: Gentlemen's Quarterly;Sep96, Vol. 66 Issue 9, p320
Lists several popular people, places and things and their overrated social relevance for the year 1996 in the United States. Includes Joan Osborne; Whoopi Goldberg's performance at the 1996 Oscar awards; America's desire for more articles psychoanalyzing David Letterman.
- Trend-o-rama. // Seventeen;May95, Vol. 54 Issue 5, p62
Reports on the latest teenage trends from around the world. Sporting of a leash tan; Wearing little boy's underwear; New hip greeting; Gift of coach tags.
- Untitled. // Seventeen;Mar94, Vol. 53 Issue 3, p104
Reports on the popularity of bell-bottom pants in other countries. Elephant pants as hip in France; Wearing of the pants with high-heeled mocassins in Mozambique; Indoor beaches and karaoke singing in Japan and Korea.
- Back from the dead? // Self;Oct94, Vol. 16 Issue 10, p24
Cites the re-emergence of popular items in the past. Spam; Tony Bennett; Plaid skirts; Pez candy; Afro hairdos; Record albums; Thongs; Noam Chomsky.