IBM and the Birth of Corporate Culture
- Leading Challenges. // HR Magazine;Feb2008, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p10
The article presents responses from executives surveyed by IBM researchers to a question about the most significant capability-building challenges facing their organizations. They include building leadership talent, fostering a culture that supports e-learning and development, and rotating...
- Social media tools gain acceptance. Koster, Kathleen // Employee Benefit News;9/15/2012, Vol. 26 Issue 12, p14
The article reports on employers' use of social media in the workplace to take advantage of its open and connecting properties. It states that employers, however, should ensure the balance between high-touch interaction and technology to achieve a healthy corporate culture. Furthermore,...
- Broadening horizons. Bredin, James // Industry Week/IW;10/06/97, Vol. 246 Issue 18, p68
Reports on the training of International Business Machines Corp. executives at Cambridge University, England. Avoidance of the program to any direct reference to computers or management theory; Techniques to enable executives to achieve a wider perspective.
- Rebalancing the Workforce At IBM: A Case Study of Redeployment and Revitalization. Greenhalgh, Leonard; McKersie, Robert B.; Gilkey, Roderick W. // Organizational Dynamics;Spring86, Vol. 14 Issue 4, p30
Focuses on the concept of redeployment and revitalization adopted by the International Business Machine (IBM) in Vermont. Identification of workforce inefficiency; Techniques in workforce reduction imposed by IBM; Products and services of the company.
- IBM struggles to regain lost ground from slimmer rival. Eglin, Roger // Management Today;Aug1994, p12
Reports on International Business Machines Corp. head (IBM) Louis Gerstner's imposition of his eight goals to overcome the company's stifling corporate culture. Reshaping strategy at a slow pace; Reorganization of sales force; Catching up in areas like client-server computing and the...
- Centre of attention. Pickard, Jane // People Management;7/6/2000, Vol. 6 Issue 14, p30
Provides information on AskHR, a service center of IBM company covering Europe. Operations of the service center; Human resource services provided by the center; Shared-services of the center; Details on the human resource professionals employed in the center.
- Build Leaders From Within. Davis, Nancy M. // HR Magazine;Feb2008, Vol. 53 Issue 2, p10
The article presents information on the Global Human Capital Study 2008 sponsored by IBM and published by its Global Business Services Human Capital Management practice and its Institute for Business Value. The study emphasizes the importance of building leaders from within. Almost half of the...
- How to upgrade your people. Ellinor, Rebecca // Supply Management;4/24/2008, Vol. 13 Issue 9, p33
The article examines how International Business Machines Corp. (IBM) is able to recruit and retain the best purchasers in China. According to IBM chief purchasing officer John Paterson, the company offers incremental investment in the development of local employees. Paterson adds that employees...
- Instant Secretaries: Just Add Training. Hennebach, Carol // Training & Development;Nov92, Vol. 46 Issue 11, p63
Focuses on the success of the International Business Machines Corp. in retraining blue-collar workers in secretarial and clerical skills. Program details; Workers' response to retraining; Impact of the program on productivity.