The Regulated Workplace
- Cyber employees: Letting employees navigate their own labor course. Goza, Shirley E. // Labor Law Journal;Jul96, Vol. 47 Issue 7, p437
Discusses the evolution of labor laws in the United States. Rationale in the development of labor unions; Primary purpose of the Wagner Act; Usage of the unfair labor practice under the National Labor Relations Act; Connection of employees with union shopping; Doctrine of accretion; Protection...
- The enabling state? Welfare and industrial society. Evans, Eric // History Today;Jun94, Vol. 44 Issue 5, p17
Discusses various aspects of child labor laws which may have contributed to the welfare state of Britain in the 1940s. Health and Morals of Apprentices Act (1802); Effects of Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834; How state involvement grew; Unemployment Act of 1934; Government control of social life.
- Crime bill only pass. Gray, David // Camping Magazine;Jan/Feb95, Vol. 67 Issue 3, p49
Reports on legislative developments in the United States as of January 1995 that have impacts on camping. Includes interest in the SUCCEED initiative; Approval of the Crime Bill which authorized local community grants for crime prevention; Non-approval of the Clean Water Re-authorizatioon Bill.
- Legal developments. // Federal Reserve Bulletin;Apr97, Vol. 83 Issue 4, p271
Discusses that the Board of Governors is amending its 12 C.F.R. Part 208, Regulations H and 12 C.F.R. Part 225, Regulation Y. Developments accommodate by the amendments of 12 C.F.R. Part 208; What is clarified by the amendments about the State member banks; How the 12 C.F.R. Part 208 is amended...
- Regulation: Past, present, and future. Hahn, Robert W. // Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy;Winter90, Vol. 13 Issue 1, p167
Provides a comprehensive review of United States government regulatory activity and demonstrates how the regulatory environment can dramatically affect the performance of particular industries and the overall economy. Examples of innovative regulatory reforms; Recent efforts by the Executive...
- Lower expectations. Miller, William H. // Industry Week/IW;1/22/96, Vol. 245 Issue 2, p65
Reports on developments in industry legislation in the United States as of January 22, 1996. Expected impact of primary elections on legislative activities; Names, descriptions and status of several industrial legislation; Industry's uncertainty about the staying power of Republicans who are...
- Hidden perils in `contract' legislation. Griswold, Whit // Salt Water Sportsman;Apr95, Vol. 56 Issue 4, p51
Focuses on the Job Creation and Wage Enhancement Act of 1995. Environmental restrictions on some businesses; Protection of habitat for marine wildlife; Sections of the bill that could impede federal agencies from enforcing the Clean Water Act and Endangered Species Act.
- Moratorium would please risk managers. Hofmann, Mark A. // Business Insurance;2/20/95, Vol. 29 Issue 8, p1
Reports on the reaction of risk managers and business groups to the proposed reforms in federal regulatory systems in the United States. Description of the proposals; Support by businesses for the proposals; Comments of various business organizations on the proposal. INSET: Moratorium would...
- Get off my back. Calderwood, James A. // Transportation & Distribution;Feb95, Vol. 36 Issue 2, p62
Discusses some provisions of the Job Creation and Wage Enhancement Act of 1995, drafted by the Republican House. Requirement that agencies perform a risk assessment and cost/benefit analysis before any new regulations are issued; `Citizens Regulatory Bill of Rights' provision.