The Mountain Island
- The Adirondacks. Morrison, Wilbur H. // Catskills & Adirondacks (Adventure Guide);1995, p5
Presents travel information about the Adirondacks. Historically significant figures; Revolutionary War and the war between Britain and France; Steps taken to improve accessibility for tourists; Growth in cottage industry; Changing seasons; Local character; Area museums; New York State Department...
- The Catskills. Morrison, Wilbur H. // Catskills & Adirondacks (Adventure Guide);1995, p141
Presents travel information about the Catskills in New York State. History; Accessibility; What to see and do, including the Ukrainian Youth Festival, Monticello Raceway and Fort Delaware; Private preserves in the area; Accommodations; Camping; Hunting and fishing.
- Stalking the real hunter. Brizzolara, K. // Skiing;Feb89, Vol. 41 Issue 6, p80
First-person account of skiing at Hunter Mountain in Hunter, N.Y. Ski terrain; Easy distance from New York City; Trails; Food. INSET: Hunter Mountain, N.Y (Information).;HELP...and a hard line....
- A Ski in the Park. Cutts, Joe // Ski;Oct2007, Vol. 72 Issue 2, p172
The article offers information and reviews of the ski resorts and trails located on Whiteface Mountain and Gore Mountain, New York.
- How To Lick Stress. Hendricks, Mike // Backpacker;Aug2000, Vol. 28 Issue 6, p98
Describes the Tongue Mountain Range in New York.
- Where's the Apostrophe? // Scholastic News -- Edition 4;9/9/2013, Vol. 76 Issue 2, p2
The article reports on the decision of residents of Thurman, New York, to keep using Jimmy's Peak as the name of a local mountain even though its official name does not include an apostrophe.
- Hike A Handful Of High Places. // Backpacker;Sep2002, Vol. 30 Issue 7, p40
Outlines a guide for hiking the trails at Adirondacks' Great Range in New York.
- Gore mountain's garnets. Kelly, William M. // Natural History;May92, Vol. 101 Issue 5, The Adirondacks p33
Discusses the large garnet crystals which were, until recently, mined from Gore Mountain in Adirondack Park. Founding of the Barton Mine; Reasons why so many crystals developed at the mountain site; Uses of garnet as an abrasive agent; Other industrial uses.
- MAGIC MOUNTAIN. Schoenman, Deborah // New York;3/24/2003, Vol. 36 Issue 10, p31
Features Onteora Mountain House in Catskills Range, New York as a spring vacation destination. Activities for visitors; Cafes.