- Bears About the World. Praytor, Shirley // Teddy Bear & Friends;Mar/Apr2004, Vol. 22 Issue 2, p44
Focuses on various species of bears.
- grizzly. // Backpacker;Oct2013, Vol. 41 Issue 8, p58
The article focuses on the power and speed of a bear.
- The bears are hungry. Kataquapit, Xavier // Nation (1206-2642);10/18/2013, Vol. 20 Issue 25, p33
A first person narrative is presented which explores the author's experience of coming across a mother bear and her two cubs as they were crossing a highway in northern Quebec.
- PHYLOGEOGRAPHIC PATTERNS WITHIN A METAPOPULATION OF BLACK BEARS (URSUS AMERICANUS) IN THE AMERICAN SOUTHWEST. Onorato, Dave P.; Hellgren, Eric C.; Van Den Bussche, Ronald A.; Doan-Crider, Diana L.; Kie, John G. // Journal of Mammalogy;Feb2004, Vol. 85 Issue 1, p140
Natural recolonization by large carnivores has rarely been documented. American black bears (Ursus americanus) recently (1988-present) recolonized portions of their former range in western Texas. We used mtDNA sequence data (n = 144 bears) from 7 populations of southwestern black bears in New...
- The Old Man of the Woods. Smith, Dwight G. // World & I;Jun2000, Vol. 15 Issue 6, p160
Deals with the North American black bears. Reason for the near extinction of North American black bears; Facts about the North American black bears; Tips on how to behave in bear country.
- Bear of the Clouds. Steinhart, Peter // Audubon;Jul89, Vol. 91 Issue 4, p92
Focuses on the spectacled bear of the Andes Region. Characteristics of the spectacled bear; Behavior and movement mechanisms; Factors affecting the survival of spectacled bears; Effect of bears on the environment; Efforts exerted by authorities to protect the bears; Myths surrounding the...
- A Bear Named Gene. // Time;2/27/1950, Vol. 55 Issue 9, p68
The article focuses on the significance of the birth of a bear named Gene from hybrid bears that were produced by a polar bear and Alaskan brown bear in 1950. It describes the difference between polar bears and Alaskan brown bears. A polar bear cub named Snow White and a female brown bear cub...
- bear. // American Heritage Student Science Dictionary;2009, p36
A definition of the term "bear" is presented. The term refers to any of various large mammals having a shaggy coat, a rounded head, and a short tail. Bears eat plants and other animals, especially insects and small rodents. They walk with the entire lower surface of their foot touching the ground.
- Recent occurrence of an American black bear in Nebraska. Hoffman, Justin D.; Wilson, Sam; Genoways, Hugh H. // Ursus;2009, Vol. 20 Issue 1, p69
We report on a young male, cinnamon-phase American black bear (Ursus americanus) that was collected in northwestern Nebraska on 12 May 2008. This specimen represents the first black bear taken in Nebraska since 1907. Cranial characteristics and mass of the individual indicated a 15-16 month old...