- Chemically mediated foraging preference of black bears (Ursus americanus). Kimball, Bruce A.; Nolte, Dale L.; Engeman, Richard M.; Johnston, John J.; Stermitz, Frank R. // Journal of Mammalogy;May98, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p448
Focuses on two field studies which examined the role of chemical constituents in black bears', Ursus americanus foraging behavior. Collection of vascular tissue samples from Douglas-fir trees which were foraged by the bears; Analysis of the samples by liquid and gas chromatography; What were...
- ACTIVITY PATTERN OF THE ORPHANED ASIATIC BLACK BEAR URSUS THIBETANUS (MAMMALIA: CARNIVORA: URSIDAE) CUBS DURING REHABILITATION PROCESSES. Dasgupta, Soumya; Choudhury, Parthankar; Bhattacharjee, Parimal C. // Journal of Threatened Taxa;9/26/2014, Vol. 6 Issue 10, p6371
Five Asiatic Black Bear Ursus thibetanus cubs aged between 6.5-15 months were studied for five months using instantaneous scan sampling (n=3049 scans) while they were undergoing acclimatization in the rehabilitation areas in Pakke Tiger Reserve, Arunachal Pradesh, India. During the course of the...
- DEC proposes stricter rules for bear feeding. Lynch, Mike // Adirondack Daily Enterprise;5/6/2010, Vol. 117 Issue 107, p1
The article reports on the comprehensive ban on feeding black bears everywhere, whether or not incidental or intentional, proposed by the Department of Environmental Conservation in New York.
- `Cites' curbs bear trade, continues ban on ivory sales. // International Wildlife;May92, Vol. 22 Issue 3, p25
Announces that the full assembly of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) has voted to restrict the sale of American black bears and their parts in an effort to help protect endangered Asian bear species. CITES has also continued its ban on trade in ivory and other...
- Bears in the black. Lewis, Joshua // Louisiana Life;Winter1999/2000, Vol. 19 Issue 4, p46
Probes into the effort to save the Louisiana black bear.
- The most feared species. // Outdoor Life;Dec86, Vol. 178 Issue 6, p50
Although grizzlies are the most feared species of bear, statistics prove that black bears can be even more unpredictable. A look at an animal which can change from a harmless coward to a ferocious beast in an instant.
- Where the big bears are. Bauer, E.A. // Outdoor Life;Dec88, Vol. 182 Issue 6, p60
Discusses a recent explosion in the number of black bear in west-central Manitoba, Canada.
- Pennsylvania releases new bear video. Fegely, T. // Outdoor Life;Jul92, Vol. 190 Issue 1, p7
Reports that the Pennsylvania Game Commission has produced a new video detailing the secret life of the state's largest game animal. Details on the documentary entitled `On the Trail of Pennsylvania's Black Bears.'
- Black bear. // Outdoor Life;Oct95, Vol. 196 Issue 4, p58
Presents facts regarding the black bear. Variations in color; Nature of the black bear; Bear sounds and emotion displayed; Judging a bear's size; Hibernation; Population.